‘USpeak’ provides chance to share artistic expression​

Miami-based artist Jose A. Villar-Portela spoke to students and shared his poems Thursday at the second event of the “U Speak” series, a bi-monthly event held by Mangrove, the University of Miami’s undergraduate literary journal.

“My poetry is born out of the two drives to feel and to think the world anew,” Villar-Portela said. “Nowadays as poets, we can’t afford to be anything but cultural organizers and cultural participants.”

“USpeak” is an open mic series where the University of Miami community can gather to share poetry, flash fiction and short stories. Each event features a local artist who shares their work with attendees.

Villar-Portela, the event’s featured artist, is heavily involved with organizations that promote the exchange and awareness of poetry. He described USpeak as a medium to reach out to others by simultaneously reaching within.

“Poetry can no longer afford to live inside the academic box it’s lived inside of for years, it is now time to take it out of our drawers and allow it to come out of our rooms,” Villar-Portela said.

UM students also took the opportunity to recite their own original work ranging from humorous short stories to thought-provoking poetry.

“I believe in the power of the written word and there is so much that we as an audience gain from listening to the authors speak, and I think it should be continually emphasized in the society that we live in,” said Grace Slawski, a senior majoring in Latin American Studies who was the first speaker of the night.

Slawski read her poem “Walden East,” which was inspired by famous American author Henry David Thoreau’s “Walden.”

According to senior Natasha Mijares, the Poetry Editor of Mangrove, USpeak provides students with an atmosphere where their voices can be heard.

“It’s a unique way to observe the social and political aura happening during any given time,” she said. “It is important to preserve our place in history.”

Mangrove will continue to host the USpeak series throughout the semester with events Oct. 18 and Nov. 1.​

For more information, visit as.miami.edu/english/creativewriting/literary-and-performance-reading-series/uspeak/.

Mateo Alvarez

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...