Football, Sports

NFL Network’s posthumous documentary shows Sean Taylor on and off the field

Sean Taylor before a Redskins game against the Cardinals on Dec. 11, 2005. // Bryan Allison via Flickr

Nearly two months away from the seventh anniversary of the tragic death of a Hurricanes legend, and still all these years later, people have so many questions about Sean Taylor.

Legions of fans will have that sparkle in their eyes whenever they think of #26 in his Canes uniform and #21 in his Washington Redskins uniform. They’ll remember his speed and tremendous, hard-hitting power.

On Friday night, the nation will once again pause to reflect on Taylor’s career as he is profiled in the NFL Network’s “A Football Life” series.

His Redskins coach, Joe Gibbs, said of Taylor: “God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.”

The Redskins teammates featured in Taylor’s posthumous biography who help shed light on the man on and off the field include Ryan Clark, Chris Cooley, Santana Moss, Ed Reed, Kellen Winslow Jr. and Clinton Portis. Portis also played with Taylor on the Hurricanes 2001 National Championship team.

Hurricanes brethren Ed Reed and Kellen Winslow Jr. are also featured interviews. Taylor and Winslow were two of four true freshmen to see game action in that dominating 2001 season.

Taylor’s junior season of 2003 may be one of the finest a Hurricane has ever played. He set a school record with three pick-sixes in a single season and had 77 tackles (57 of which were solo). Taylor was a first team All-American, Big East Defensive Player of the Year and a Jim Thorpe Award finalist, an award given to the best defensive back in college football every season.

In her first interview about Taylor since his death, Taylor’s fiancée, Jackie Garcia-Haley, summed up his on-field attitude when she said, “He was actually living his dream. He slept his entire life on an NFL pillow until the day he got drafted.”

His off-the-field life and personality will be a huge focus of the documentary, which discusses Taylor moving in with his father at age 10, not attending the NFL Draft (he was picked fifth overall by the Redskins in 2004), and leaving the NFL Rookie Symposium early. It also goes into his distant connection with the media and, ultimately, his brutally tragic murder in 2007.

In just 24 years of life, Sean Taylor did leave the public with a lot of questions, but in Canes, Redskins and yes, football fans’ eyes, he may have been one of the greatest safeties to ever play the game.

Sean Taylor: A Football Life premieres Friday at 9 p.m. on NFL Network.

Neil Dwyer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...