Football, Sports

NFL Network’s posthumous documentary shows Sean Taylor on and off the field

Sean Taylor before a Redskins game against the Cardinals on Dec. 11, 2005. // Bryan Allison via Flickr

Nearly two months away from the seventh anniversary of the tragic death of a Hurricanes legend, and still all these years later, people have so many questions about Sean Taylor.

Legions of fans will have that sparkle in their eyes whenever they think of #26 in his Canes uniform and #21 in his Washington Redskins uniform. They’ll remember his speed and tremendous, hard-hitting power.

On Friday night, the nation will once again pause to reflect on Taylor’s career as he is profiled in the NFL Network’s “A Football Life” series.

His Redskins coach, Joe Gibbs, said of Taylor: “God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.”

The Redskins teammates featured in Taylor’s posthumous biography who help shed light on the man on and off the field include Ryan Clark, Chris Cooley, Santana Moss, Ed Reed, Kellen Winslow Jr. and Clinton Portis. Portis also played with Taylor on the Hurricanes 2001 National Championship team.

Hurricanes brethren Ed Reed and Kellen Winslow Jr. are also featured interviews. Taylor and Winslow were two of four true freshmen to see game action in that dominating 2001 season.

Taylor’s junior season of 2003 may be one of the finest a Hurricane has ever played. He set a school record with three pick-sixes in a single season and had 77 tackles (57 of which were solo). Taylor was a first team All-American, Big East Defensive Player of the Year and a Jim Thorpe Award finalist, an award given to the best defensive back in college football every season.

In her first interview about Taylor since his death, Taylor’s fiancée, Jackie Garcia-Haley, summed up his on-field attitude when she said, “He was actually living his dream. He slept his entire life on an NFL pillow until the day he got drafted.”

His off-the-field life and personality will be a huge focus of the documentary, which discusses Taylor moving in with his father at age 10, not attending the NFL Draft (he was picked fifth overall by the Redskins in 2004), and leaving the NFL Rookie Symposium early. It also goes into his distant connection with the media and, ultimately, his brutally tragic murder in 2007.

In just 24 years of life, Sean Taylor did leave the public with a lot of questions, but in Canes, Redskins and yes, football fans’ eyes, he may have been one of the greatest safeties to ever play the game.

Sean Taylor: A Football Life premieres Friday at 9 p.m. on NFL Network.

Neil Dwyer

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...