Edge, Movies

‘This is Where I Leave You’ leaves little to appreciate

This Is Where I Leave You poster from Warner Bros. // Uploaded to Wikimedia Commons by Koala15

‘This Is Where I Leave You’ poster from Warner Bros. // Uploaded to Wikimedia Commons by Koala15

With an all-star ensemble cast, “This Is Where I Leave You” has the potential to be a stellar movie. Adapted from the best-selling novel of the same name, author Jonathan Tropper also wrote the screenplay, this movie flirts with both telenovela-style drama and slapstick comedy. While neither truly to commit to either.

When the father of the Altman clan dies, his children are forced to gather at their childhood home in the Jewish tradition of sitting shiva, seven official days of mourning. They’re less than thrilled about this arrangement. The protagonist, Judd (Jason Bateman), has just discovered his wife is cheating on him. With his boss.

His siblings are similarly sad lots. Wendy, (Tina Fey) is stuck in a loveless marriage, while her true love (Timothy Olphant) lives next door, suffering from traumatic brain injury. Paul (Corey Stahl) is the dutiful sibling who stayed at home to help the family business. Pressured by wife Alice (Kathryn Hahn) to conceive a child, Paul is miserable. Youngest brother Phillip (Adam Driver) is the baby of the family, desperately trying to convince the gang that he’s grown up. He’s dating his therapist (Connie Britton) and, well, enough said.

Their wildly inappropriate mother Hillary (Jane Fonda) holds them together in this dysfunctional mess, but she’s no better than the rest. She documented her children’s early adolescence as the subject for her psychology book, fully traumatizing them. Her “bionic boobs,” as Judd dubs them, are the real stars of the movie: half of the punch lines are solely devoted towards Fonda’s chest.

What’s most appalling is not Wendy’s heartbreaking realization that she will never experience true love again. It’s not Alice’s desperation to get pregnant. It’s not even the death of their father itself. It’s that the Altmans, and the movie, fail to commit to anything.

Stahl and Driver come close to undoing their characters’ straightjackets, but no further. Bateman plays Judd with a tangible weariness that he’s unable to shake the entire run time. Though there’s a hint of character development when romance with local girl Penny Moore (Rose Byrne) bubbles, both Bateman and Byrne rely on their tropes of the tired, jaded man and maniac pixie girl, respectively.

Fey, however, who is heralded for her comedic roles on “Saturday Night Live” and “30 Rock,” handles the rather dramatic role with finesse. Wendy’s storyline is the most tragic yet Fey’s caustic wit brings her character out of the two-dimensional frame in which the others are stuck.

This movie just seems hasty. The comedic timing is sometimes off between deliveries. The depressing events get so elaborate that it’s hard to keep track of who’s suffering from what.

But perhaps that’s the point: This movie does feel like a family get-together. It’s loud and nobody can keep a secret for more than two minutes, but in the end, their tragedies are to be traded, their triumphs to be mutually treasured. It’s about the love crushing out the hate, sappy as that sounds. Take or leave “This Is Where I Leave You,” but that message isn’t going anywhere.

Sirisha Gaddipati

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...