Edge, Movies

‘The Skeleton Twins’ presents dark humor with late-night comedy duo

'The Skeleton Twins' poster from Roadside Attractions // Uploaded to Wikimedia Commons by Koala15

‘The Skeleton Twins’ poster from Roadside Attractions // Uploaded to Wikimedia Commons by Koala15

Craig Johnson’s “The Skeleton Twins,” winner of the Best Screenplay award at the Sundance Film Festival, is a unique dark comedy-drama that makes for quite the change of pace for its stars – both of whom are best known for their work on a late-night comedy show.

“Saturday Night Live” alums Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader play Maggie and Milo Dean (respectively), two twins who reunite after 10 years when Milo, a struggling gay actor in Los Angeles, attempts suicide, inadvertently thwarting her sister’s attempt on the same day. While he recovers, Maggie invites her brother to move in with her and her husband (Luke Wilson), where the two siblings reconnect and confront their many personal demons, including Maggie’s anxiety towards having a child and Milo’s attempt at rekindling a relationship with his high school English teacher (Ty Burrell).

This is a film that really succeeds on the strength of its characters, all of whom are fully fleshed-out in a way that makes them relatable to the audience. Maggie and Milo are clearly not perfect, and the script knows it – they have plenty of problems, but find it easier to lie about them to others, which may make other people feel better, but ends up hurting themselves in the process.

While this behavior could easily draw comparisons to characters audiences could consider unlikeable, Johnson and his co-writer Mark Heyman add an extra layer of vulnerability to their protagonists, making it easier to connect on an emotional level. Even Maggie’s husband, normally portrayed as constantly upbeat and positive, finds himself reaching this level when he finds out about Maggie’s secrets. By giving this much depth to everyone on screen, Johnson and Heyman create a series of characters that remain engaging to follow for the entire runtime.

These characters may be great on their own, but they are emphasized by some very remarkable performances. Hader and Wiig have some of the best chemistry in perhaps any film this year, which would make sense given all of the time they spent on television together. Whether their characters are going through a life crisis or just having a good time as siblings – their lip sync to Starship’s Oscar-nominated song “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now” is a particular highlight – these two are absolutely electrifying on screen together.

For Kristen Wiig to be taking on a part like this is not a surprise – she has been making a transition into dramatic roles for a while now with films like “Girl Most Likely.” The real surprise comes from how easily Bill Hader manages to adapt to this new scenario. Milo is a far cry from Hader’s popular SNL character Stefon, but Hader refuses to let the two characters mix, giving the former an added touch of humanism that makes him stand out.

While “The Skeleton Twins” may not be for the most squeamish – the film is much darker than the trailer implies – it nevertheless makes for a fully engaging piece of cinema, and one that makes its stars ones to watch out for.

Henry Gessner

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...