Sports Brief 9.25.14

Volleyball

The Canes will square off against Notre Dame (3-8) 7 p.m. Friday in the Knight Sports Complex to officially kick off the ACC season. Miami finished its non-conference schedule 7-4, including a perfect 5-0 record at home.

Led by senior Savanah Leaf (163 kills) and freshman Haley Templeton (373 assists), the Canes will look to improve their 12-8 ACC record last season.

Miami will also travel to Durham, North Carolina to play Duke (8-3, 1-3 away) at 1 p.m. Sunday. The Canes were swept by the Blue Devils in two matches last season.

For more information about the upcoming ACC showdowns, visit themiamihurricane.com/section/sports.

Soccer

Miami (2-7) will take the pitch 7 p.m. Friday in Cobb Stadium to play against Syracuse (3-4-3). Miami will look to end its four-game losing streak by adding to Syracuse’s two game skid.

The Canes are 2-2 at home this year. This will begin Miami’s four-game home stretch against top ACC rivals Syracuse, Louisville, Florida State and Virginia Tech. Senior leader and goalie Emily Lillard has 36 saves this year, and will look to earn her third win of the year.

Danny New

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...