News Briefs 9/25

Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

Laquita Phillips, the Hurricane Productions graduate assistant, rides The Chili Pepper at the Rat Rodeo Wednesday. The Rathskeller Advisory Board (RAB) organized a Western-themed event that also featured a photo booth. Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

USpeak

USpeak Flash Fiction & Poetry open mic event, hosted by the national undergraduate literary journal of the University of Miami Department of English, “Mangrove,” will take place at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Wesley House. The event will include a performance from Miami poet Jose A. Villar-Portela. Attendees are welcome to read their work, play their music and listen to others’ art. For more information, visit miami.edu/uspeak.

U Got Consent?

Take a stand against sexual violence from 12 to 2 p.m. on Thursday at the Rock. The Yellow Rose Society will be collecting signatures as a pledge against sexual violence. There will be educational information on sexual consent in an effort to inform the campus and community on the topic and to encourage safety and prevention.

Russian Tea Party

Join your fellow Canes in the Eastern European Club and the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) for a Russian dessert and tea party from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Thursday in the Student Activities Center (SAC) Iron Arrow room.

Homecoming Concert Tickets 

This year, Hurricane Productions and the Concerts Committee are bringing Matt and Kim and Fabolous to campus as the homecoming concert performers. Tickets to the concert will be on sale from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. beginning Monday at the University Center ticket window. There are two types of tickets: general admission floor (GA Floor) and general admission seats (GA Seats). Floor tickets are available for students only. However, there are no chairs on the floor. Floor tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Emily Dabau may be contacted at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...