Fight book banning by reading

The Richter Library teems with books no person under the constraints of a normal human lifespan will ever have time to read. Among these, one can reasonably expect to find, should you undertake to do so, classics such as “To Kill a Mockingbird,” “Slaughterhouse Five,” and “The Catcher in the Rye.” Surely such books are the building blocks of every library.

But in many places, these books are banned.

Since 1990, the American Library Association’s Office of Intellectual Freedom has recorded, according to its website, more than 10,000 book challenges. These challenges are “formal, written complaint[s]requesting a book be removed from library shelves or school curriculum.”

In other words, these challenges are not merely individuals expressing their viewpoints; they signify a concerted effort to limit access to certain information, and to undermine the freedom of speech that the Constitution has now guaranteed for more than 200 years.

What can you do to help defend this right? Simple: exercise it.

The UM library system contains, according to the UM Libraries website, more than 3.5 million volumes and thousands of CDs/DVDs and serials, in subjects ranging from chess, to fluid dynamics, to art history, to Scandinavian literature, to animal husbandry. The collection is constantly increasing; in the week of September 14-20 alone, the library added more than 100 new items.

Yet in 2010-2011, only 138,197 of these 3.5 million items were checked out.

Most of us, forgetting that the library is more than a massive study area cluttered with bookshelves, charge through the turnstiles fixated only on locating a table to camp out and do homework. Plugging in our electronic devices, spreading out our textbooks and loose-leaf paper, we fill the space with material we bring into the library ourselves.

But when was the last time you took something out of the library?

The access to information is one of the most vital resources the university provides, and Banned Books Week underlines how fortunate we are to have such access – and how we should do more to appreciate it.

So the next time you’re at Richter, hop up to the stacks. Visit the Special Collections. Try to locate the oldest book on each floor. See if you can find a book with a handwritten note in it. Leave your own handwritten notes for others to find. There are plenty of ways to appreciate books that don’t involve poring for hours over a massive tome.

Because that’s what it really comes down to: the active exercise of the right we so proudly lay claim to. To strike a blow against censorship, we need to wield the sword, not just let it sit around, gathering dust.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...