Hamas to blame for Middle Eastern conflict

For thousands of years, blood has been shed over Palestine, and unfortunately, this year has been no different.

Israel and Hamas have agreed to a new ceasefire agreement, not quite a peace treaty yet, after a conflict that left thousands dead and nearly a half million displaced. Now, as the storm calms, we look back and assess who is truly at fault. Who morally and politically bears responsibility for those deaths? Hamas.

I say Hamas and not Gaza because the Israeli leadership has made it clear that their fight is with the political actors running Gaza, not the Gazans themselves.

The massively polarizing coverage of this major conflict has provoked both angry condemnations and appeals for peace on social media.

Naturally, people are divided and take sides. The problem lies in the increasingly prevalent logical fallacy minefield of the middle ground. More formally known as the “argument to moderation,” this logical fallacy describes that if two positions of opposite extreme are held, then the truth must lie somewhere in the middle.

Put simply: If I say fire is hot and you say fire is cold, then fire must be lukewarm.

Regarding Israel, one’s Facebook friends may make passive claims that both Israel and Hamas are to blame, or that both sides have some faults and bear responsibility.

Rather than critically addressing the issues surrounding the Israel-Hamas conflict, this argument trivializes what has left thousands dead this year alone and cost billions of dollars.

While it is equally fallacious to paint the world merely in terms of black and white, the desire to offend no one by prescribing blame to all sides of a conflict does not help achieve just conflict resolution.

Hamas is at fault for causing the death of thousands of Gazan citizens and starting a war.

Had Hamas not engaged in rocket attacks directly aimed at Israeli civilians, thousands of Gazans would still be alive. Had Hamas not hidden weapons in schools and hospitals, thousands of Gazans would not have perished in the Israeli invasion.

It is offensive to the intellect to equate the democratically elected Israeli government, inclusive of Christians, Jews, and Muslims, with a terrorist organization dedicated to Jewish eradication, not Gazan liberation.

In the Israel-Hamas conflict, there is right and there is wrong.

Will Schaub is a senior majoring in political science and English.

Will Schaub

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...