Community, Crime and Safety, News

Traffic safety checkpoints to surround campus

A series of traffic safety checkpoints will be set up in the area surrounding the University of Miami campus Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

This will also coincide with events aimed at educating people on driving safety, in the hopes of lessening traffic accidents.

According to a press release from the Southeast Community Traffic Safety Team (SE CTST), the Florida Department of Transportation’s (FDOT) District Six is partnering with local law enforcement agencies to set up checkpoints.

Carlos Sarmiento, the FDOT District Six Community Traffic Safety Program Coordinator, said that the program urges people to pay attention when they are behind the wheel.

“We want the motorists to be aware of their surroundings,” he said.

The release specifies that law enforcement will be looking for “red-light running, speeding, seatbelt use, impaired/distracted driving, move-over law compliance and general traffic safety.”

These points will be along Bird Road (between Red Road and Alahambra Circle); Granada Blvd (between Bird Road and Ponce de Leon Blvd); and San Amaro Drive (between Ponce de Leon Blvd and Miller Drive).

UMPD Crime Prevention Officer John Gulla explained that the event isn’t just about enforcing traffic safety for motorists. It is also for cyclists and pedestrians.

He spoke of the growing number of students who walk with their cell phones out, a a trend he called “distracted walking.” This can be dangerous if students are not paying attention while crossing the street.

“We know people are going to be using their cell phones, but put it down when you’re crossing a busy street and use the crosswalks that are put in place,” he advised.

FDOT is also working with student groups from the University of Miami, such as Canes Emergency Response Team (CERT), Responsible and Educated Drivers (RED) and the Association of Commuter Students (ACS),  to host outreach programs focusing on bicycle and pedestrian safety in areas near UM’s campus. Due to poor weather conditions, these events have been put on hold, but will be rescheduled for a later date.

SE CTST organized the event with the help of Florida Department of Transportation’s Community Traffic Safety Program (CTSP).

For more information, contact Carlos Sarmiento, community traffic safety program coordinator, at 305-470-5437 or at carlos.sarmiento@dot.state.fl.us, or Ivette Ruiz-Paz, media and public outreach specialist, at 305-470-5225 or at Ivette.Ruiz-Paz@dot.state.fl.us.

Marlee Lisker

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...