News Briefs 9/22

Artist and writer Benjamin Alire Saenz reads a portion of his book during a Ibis Literary Reading & Performance Series gathering. The event was held on Thursday in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

READ and Banned Books Read Out

The Richter Library will be hosting READ and Banned Books Read Out on Wednesday. READ will be from 12 to 2 p.m. on the first floor of the library and will allow students to take a picture with Sebastian the Ibis and their favorite book.  Afterwards, the Banned Books Read Out will take place from 2 to 3:30 p.m. in the third floor conference room.

Students, professors and other UM luminaries will be sharing words from banned or challenged books at the Read Out as part of the American Library Association’s Banned Books Week. Light refreshments will be served. Throughout the week, an exhibit of banned and rare books will be on display at the entrance of Special Collections on the eighth floor of the library. The collection will include works by John Milton, William Shakespeare and others.

Student Government Awareness Week

Monday: Student Government’s (SG) Awareness Week will begin with a kickoff event from 12 to 2 p.m. at the Rock. There will be pizza and giveaways for those who find a hidden SG novelty item. Executive Board members will be present to answer questions on how to get involved.

Tuesday: Put your knowledge to the test with a trivia game during Trivia Tuesday from 8:30 to 10 p.m. at the Rathskeller. There will be giveaways and food.

Wednesday: An “Eat and Greet” will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. at the UC Patio as an opportunity to make sundaes with the SG Executive Board and senators while learning more about SG initiatives.

Thursday: The SG Address will take place from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Rock. The SG Executive Board will sit down as a panel to answer student questions as well as to speak about initiatives and upcoming programs.

Friday: Canes After Dark will be from 8 p.m. to midnight at the Student Activities Center (SAC) featuring a throwback with this month’s ‘90s theme.

Saturday: To wrap up SG’s Awareness Week, there will be giveaways as the Hurricanes take on Duke University at the home football game starting at 3 p.m. at Sun Life Stadium.

Latin-American International Coffee Hour

As part of Hispanic Heritage Month, the UM Study Abroad Office and the College of Arts & Sciences Gallery will celebrate with an international coffee hour from 3 to 5 p.m. Friday. The event is free for students and will feature traditional food, music, art and performances from the region. The coffee hour is a Global Ambassador Event aiming to promote intercultural learning and diversity on campus. To attend, RSVP to studyabroad@miami.edu by Wednesday.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...