Featured, Football, Slideshow, Sports

Miami defensive line falls flat against Nebraska

Photos by Chris Dorwart // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes, down 34-24 midway through the fourth quarter, embarked on one last desperate drive downfield. With the Canes facing a fourth-and-four at the Nebraska 35-yard line, Brad Kaaya threw right into the corner’s hands and was picked off.

By this point, the Cornhuskers, their fans, and especially their coach Bo Pelini, were fired up after a back-and-forth matchup with two fights breaking out in the second half. Nebraska went on to beat Miami 41-31.

Miami’s first-half offense rarely showed any signs of growing pains, aside from two delay-of-game penalties. Kaaya finished throwing 28 of 42 for 359 yards; he has back-to-back 340-yard performances this season.

Throughout the game, Miami’s biggest problem was decoding the strength and speed of Ameer Abdullah, one of college football’s best running backs. The senior tallied 232 all-purpose yards and passed the legendary Johnny Rogers on Nebraska’s all-time all-purpose yardage rankings.

Miami did take advantage of the few mistakes Nebraska made. The defense read the ever-popular fake hand-off from Tommy Armstrong Jr. to Abdullah, allowing Deon Bush to pop Armstrong and force a fumble that Anthony Chickillo recovered.

In the third quarter, Tommy Armstrong threw when the running game was working, and Tracy Howard picked him off. With Miami down 24-21, Duke Johnson fumbled at the Nebraska 43-yard line, and Josh Mitchell ran all the way back for a Huskers touchdown.

It appeared to be over on the next drive when Kaaya was picked off by Nate Gerry in Miami territory, but the Huskers were flagged for roughing the passer. Offsetting personal foul flags were thrown after a fight broke out, but coach Pelini said he was furious that the roughing-the-passer flag was thrown after the interception. Miami kept the ball, but could only muster a 34-yard field goal by Michael Badgley.

A record crowd of 91,585 people came out to Memorial Stadium Saturday to honor the National Championship team; surprising for a game that was not against the then-compelling rivalries of Oklahoma and Colorado. Appropriately, the present-day Huskers responded by beating the same team the ’94 team beat to win the Orange Bowl: Miami.

Kaaya threw touchdowns to Clive Walford, Braxton Berrios and Malcolm Lewis. Lewis made a truly terrific catch in the end zone. Johnson rushed for 93 yards and a touchdown. This was the first game in which Miami didn’t win when Johnson rushed for a touchdown.

Defensively, the Canes allowed 343 yards on the ground. This marks the third time this calendar year that the Canes have allowed 300 rushing yards, the other two games being last season’s Georgia Tech and Duke games.

Neil Dwyer

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...