Featured, Sports

Canes crumble under Nebraska offense

Senior tight end Clive Walford (No. 46) second touchdown to go up 13 to 7 with 13:52 in the second quarter. Photo by Chris Dorwart

Senior tight end Clive Walford (No. 46) grabs his second touchdown to put Miami up 13 to 7 with 13:52 in the second quarter. Photo by Chris Dorwart

The Miami Hurricanes (2-2) fall to the Nebraska Cornhuskers (4-0) 41-31 in their first rematch since the 2002 Rose Bowl.

Nebraska RB Ameer Abdullah ran all over the Miami defense, breaking the all-time school record for all-purpose yardage with a 229 yard performance.

On the other side of the ball, true freshman Brad Kaaya showed flashes of greatness – passing for 359 yards and three touchdowns. However, the California native still showed some growing pains, throwing two interceptions and permitting a few delay-of-game penalties early in the game.

The Hurricanes looked strong after driving 75 yards for a Duke Johnson score on the first drive, but the Big Red quickly answered with a 40-yard bomb to senior Kenny Bell.

The offensive shootout continued up until the end of the first half, when Nebraska kicker Drew Brown put the ball through the uprights for a 17-14 Husker lead.

After an exchange of scores from Abdullah and Miami Wideout Malcolm Lewis, the Hurricanes were within three again with 4:57 to go in the third. That momentum would be shattered though when Duke Johnson fumbled in enemy territory, leading to a 40-yard touchdown recovery by Nebraska defensive man Josh Mitchell.

The Hurricanes would remain within striking distance for the remainder of the game, until Abdullah scored again with 3:05 to go to elevate the Huskers to a 17-point lead.

On the next drive, Kaaya connected with fellow freshman Braxton Berrios to bring it back to 10, but after a failed onside kick in the following seconds, the Huskers avenged their 2002 Rose Bowl defeat.

Miami will next play against Duke (4-0) Saturday for their second ACC match of the year.

Danny New

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...