Featured, Sports

Canes crumble under Nebraska offense

Senior tight end Clive Walford (No. 46) second touchdown to go up 13 to 7 with 13:52 in the second quarter. Photo by Chris Dorwart

Senior tight end Clive Walford (No. 46) grabs his second touchdown to put Miami up 13 to 7 with 13:52 in the second quarter. Photo by Chris Dorwart

The Miami Hurricanes (2-2) fall to the Nebraska Cornhuskers (4-0) 41-31 in their first rematch since the 2002 Rose Bowl.

Nebraska RB Ameer Abdullah ran all over the Miami defense, breaking the all-time school record for all-purpose yardage with a 229 yard performance.

On the other side of the ball, true freshman Brad Kaaya showed flashes of greatness – passing for 359 yards and three touchdowns. However, the California native still showed some growing pains, throwing two interceptions and permitting a few delay-of-game penalties early in the game.

The Hurricanes looked strong after driving 75 yards for a Duke Johnson score on the first drive, but the Big Red quickly answered with a 40-yard bomb to senior Kenny Bell.

The offensive shootout continued up until the end of the first half, when Nebraska kicker Drew Brown put the ball through the uprights for a 17-14 Husker lead.

After an exchange of scores from Abdullah and Miami Wideout Malcolm Lewis, the Hurricanes were within three again with 4:57 to go in the third. That momentum would be shattered though when Duke Johnson fumbled in enemy territory, leading to a 40-yard touchdown recovery by Nebraska defensive man Josh Mitchell.

The Hurricanes would remain within striking distance for the remainder of the game, until Abdullah scored again with 3:05 to go to elevate the Huskers to a 17-point lead.

On the next drive, Kaaya connected with fellow freshman Braxton Berrios to bring it back to 10, but after a failed onside kick in the following seconds, the Huskers avenged their 2002 Rose Bowl defeat.

Miami will next play against Duke (4-0) Saturday for their second ACC match of the year.

Danny New

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...