Featured, Sports

Canes crumble under Nebraska offense

Senior tight end Clive Walford (No. 46) second touchdown to go up 13 to 7 with 13:52 in the second quarter. Photo by Chris Dorwart

Senior tight end Clive Walford (No. 46) grabs his second touchdown to put Miami up 13 to 7 with 13:52 in the second quarter. Photo by Chris Dorwart

The Miami Hurricanes (2-2) fall to the Nebraska Cornhuskers (4-0) 41-31 in their first rematch since the 2002 Rose Bowl.

Nebraska RB Ameer Abdullah ran all over the Miami defense, breaking the all-time school record for all-purpose yardage with a 229 yard performance.

On the other side of the ball, true freshman Brad Kaaya showed flashes of greatness – passing for 359 yards and three touchdowns. However, the California native still showed some growing pains, throwing two interceptions and permitting a few delay-of-game penalties early in the game.

The Hurricanes looked strong after driving 75 yards for a Duke Johnson score on the first drive, but the Big Red quickly answered with a 40-yard bomb to senior Kenny Bell.

The offensive shootout continued up until the end of the first half, when Nebraska kicker Drew Brown put the ball through the uprights for a 17-14 Husker lead.

After an exchange of scores from Abdullah and Miami Wideout Malcolm Lewis, the Hurricanes were within three again with 4:57 to go in the third. That momentum would be shattered though when Duke Johnson fumbled in enemy territory, leading to a 40-yard touchdown recovery by Nebraska defensive man Josh Mitchell.

The Hurricanes would remain within striking distance for the remainder of the game, until Abdullah scored again with 3:05 to go to elevate the Huskers to a 17-point lead.

On the next drive, Kaaya connected with fellow freshman Braxton Berrios to bring it back to 10, but after a failed onside kick in the following seconds, the Huskers avenged their 2002 Rose Bowl defeat.

Miami will next play against Duke (4-0) Saturday for their second ACC match of the year.

Danny New

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...