Edge, Food

A Guide to International Cuisine

The allure of a diverse and global college experience has drawn many students to the university, as it was ranked No. 1 in cultural diversity by The Princeton Review in 2011. While meeting people on campus who are from all around the world is a great way to gain from this experience, local restaurants provide a chance for students to dive into several cultures using all five senses.

Thailand: Moon Thai

Right across U.S. 1 from UM, Moon Thai offers a variety of Thai cuisine in a convenient location. The restaurant is constantly busy with people brave enough to step out of their comfort zones and explore a new world of flavors. Taste the traditional pad Thai for the most authentic experience.

Moon Thai is located at 1118 S Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, FL, 33146

Open: Lunch + Dinner 7 days a week

moonthai.com

Spain: Delicias de España 

Delicias de Espana has been around for 40 years and imports some of its ingredients directly from Spain. Though the menu changes daily, be sure to try the popular dish huevos a la flamenca for breakfast, and the traditional chocolate con churros for a weekday afternoon pick-me-up.

Delicias de España is located at 4016 SW 57th Ave Miami, FL 33155 

Open: Lunch + Dinner 7 days a week (except dinner on Sundays)

deliciasdeespana.com

Italy: Calamari Restaurant

Travel to Italy with the flavors from Calamari Restaurant. Calamari features a bounty of Italian favorites like risotto, veal and lobster ravioli.  Calamari’s different menus for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch allow diners to get a full taste of this classic cuisine.

Calamari Restaurant is located at 3540 Main Highway Coconut Grove, FL 33133.

Open: Monday to Thursday: 11:30 am – 11:00 pm

Friday: 11:30 am – 11:30 pm

Saturday: 10:00 am – 11:30 pm
Sunday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm               

calamarirestaurant.com

Cuba: Rinconcito El Chele

This diner serves Cuban comfort food and offers dozens of dishes. Experience Cuba as you try traditional ropa vieja,  baby churrasco, malanga cream soup and a sweet tres leches cake for dessert. Intrigue your five senses as you indulge in these unfamiliar dishes.

Rinconcito El Chele is located at 3791 Bird Road, Coral Gables, FL 33146

Open: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner 7 days a week

Japan: Akashi

Take a trip to Akashi and dive into the world of Japanese cuisine. As you watch sushi chefs prepare your meal, be sure to smell the flavorful seafood, take a bite into Akashi’s sushi, and listen to the joyous atmosphere.  The spot aims to let people experience all types of seafood through its variety of sushi.

Akashi is located at 5830 S Dixie Hwy, South Miami, FL 33143

Open: Mon – Thu. 11:30- 2:30, 5-11

Fri. – 11:30-2:30, 5-12:30

Sat- 12pm- 12:30 am

Sun 1-11pm

akashisushi.com

Latin America: Jaguar Ceviche Spoon Bar and LatAm Grill 

For a taste of Latin American cuisine, head over to Jaguar Ceviche Spoon Bar and Latam Grill. This fusion restaurant provides customers with dishes from countries like Argentina, Chile,  Peru and Brazil. The rich, decadent entrees contrast the refreshing and light ceviche that can start off your meal.

3067 Grand Avenue Coconut Grove FL, 33133

jaguarhg.com/jaguarspot

Nadijah Campbell

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...