Vaccinations are a necessity for everyone’s well-being

T

he year 1980 marked the highly effective global eradication of smallpox. This extermination was made possible through a highly regulated vaccination program coordinated by the World Health Organization, where the disease was monitored. Anyone who could have been exposed to the virus was vaccinated immediately through a process known as “ring vaccination.”

Research and years of medical advances in the field of vaccinations have enabled the United States to come close to eradicating many diseases. However, if the misconceptions behind invulnerability to disease continue to spread, the reverse may be a consequence.

Despite the high success rate of vaccinations, people have begun to doubt the efficacy of immunizations. Childhood vaccination practices in some areas have fallen by the wayside, resulting in a resurgence of preventable cases of polio, measles and chickenpox. Previously, people could have relied on herd immunity, meaning if enough individuals around them have the vaccine, they are protected from the disease. But as fewer and fewer people deem childhood immunizations necessary, that wall of fortification is beginning to dissipate.

Major debate stems from an individual’s personal liberty in this matter.

Parents are able to determine whether vaccinations align with their beliefs. However, as the pockets of immunity-free communities grow, more and more people are likely to come in contact with preventable diseases that now have the capability to  mutate and infect those who are vaccinated. As a result, that personal decision to opt out of immunization damages the well-being of an entire nation and can create a ripple effect that jeopardizes future generations.

Many also perceive a false connection between autism and natal immunization. Many parents have gone to the media with the assumption that their child developed autism spectrum disorder as a result of immunological overload. However, no scientific evidence supports this notion. In fact, medical advances in streamlining the vaccination process have significantly decreased this strain over the years.

With flu season right around the corner, the debate outlining vaccinations becomes even more relevant. In maintaining the integrity of the protective halo around our immune systems, a valuable defense mechanism lies in the heart of the vaccine.

Faizah Shareef is a senior majoring in exercise physiology.

Faizah Shareef

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...