Culture, Featured, Music

Matt and Kim, Fabolous to headline Homecoming concert

photo

A representative from Hurricane Productions, alongside Sebastian the Ibis and the band B.Miles, announces the Homecoming concert headliners during Patio Jams Thursday. Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Matt And Kim and Fabolous will be headlining the 2014 Homecoming concert, Hurricane Productions (HP) announced Thursday at the UC Patio.

The concert will take place at 8 p.m. on Oct. 30. The first release of concert tickets will be on Sept. 29 in the University Center window.

Matt and Kim are an indie dance duo best known for the hit song “Daylight.” Fabolous is a hip-hop artist. Both acts are originally from Brooklyn, New York.

According to Clayton Kryvicky, concert chair for HP, the focus this year was to bring artists to campus who would represent the diverse music tastes of the student body.

“We really wanted to try to appeal to as many students as possible,” he said. “In the past, rap has been very popular, and it still is obviously today, but there are so many other students that are interested in other different genres.”

The concert will incorporate dance music and hip-hop styles in an effort to meet students’ interests.

Sophomore Christian Braven was expecting a bigger name for the reveal, but is still excited for Homecoming.

“I don’t think it’s on the same level as last year, because last year Big Sean was amazing,” she said. “Fabolous is good, but I thought he’s not on that level.”

Students can pick up one free ticket by showing their Cane Card. Faculty and alumni can pick up tickets two days later. The following week, if tickets are still available, students can pick up a second ticket for a friend.

Emily Dabau

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...