Edge, Featured, Music

Matt and Kim, Fabolous to headline Homecoming concert

photo

A representative from Hurricane Productions, alongside Sebastian the Ibis and the band B.Miles, announces the Homecoming concert headliners during Patio Jams Thursday. Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Matt And Kim and Fabolous will be headlining the 2014 Homecoming concert, Hurricane Productions (HP) announced Thursday at the UC Patio.

The concert will take place at 8 p.m. on Oct. 30. The first release of concert tickets will be on Sept. 29 in the University Center window.

Matt and Kim are an indie dance duo best known for the hit song “Daylight.” Fabolous is a hip-hop artist. Both acts are originally from Brooklyn, New York.

According to Clayton Kryvicky, concert chair for HP, the focus this year was to bring artists to campus who would represent the diverse music tastes of the student body.

“We really wanted to try to appeal to as many students as possible,” he said. “In the past, rap has been very popular, and it still is obviously today, but there are so many other students that are interested in other different genres.”

The concert will incorporate dance music and hip-hop styles in an effort to meet students’ interests.

Sophomore Christian Braven was expecting a bigger name for the reveal, but is still excited for Homecoming.

“I don’t think it’s on the same level as last year, because last year Big Sean was amazing,” she said. “Fabolous is good, but I thought he’s not on that level.”

Students can pick up one free ticket by showing their Cane Card. Faculty and alumni can pick up tickets two days later. The following week, if tickets are still available, students can pick up a second ticket for a friend.

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...