News Briefs 9/17

Emmy-award-winning correspondent and New York Times bestselling author Dan Harris spoke to the UM community and signed books on Wednesday night at the Newman Alumni Center. Isabella Cueto // Contributing News Writer

Kulula Project

Kulula, an Afrocentric-based curriculum focusing on identity, social and academic development, works with elementary-school students from the West Grove in Miami.

Students looking to help with community projects, mentor students and gain experience with ethnocultural research are encouraged to apply.

Meetings are held from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursdays. For more information, email Dorothy Addae at d.addae@umiami.edu.

CPR Course

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is offering a Heartsaver CPR and automated external defibrillator (AED) certification course from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 29 in the Wellness Enrichment Suite Classroom.

The class will teach proper CPR technique, AED use and how to provide relief for choking adults, children and infants. Attendants enrolled in the course will receive a two-year certification from the American Heart Association upon completion.

‘BeSmokeFree’

University of Miami’s national award-winning smoking cessation program, BeSmokeFree, will begin with Session 1 on Sept. 30 at the Miller School of Medicine campus. The program is a “one-stop” resource for smokers looking to quit. It is free and open to UM students as well as  to the public.

Session 2 will be at the Coral Gables campus. For a complete schedule and to register, visit miami.edu/besmokefree.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...