News Briefs 9/17

Emmy-award-winning correspondent and New York Times bestselling author Dan Harris spoke to the UM community and signed books on Wednesday night at the Newman Alumni Center. Isabella Cueto // Contributing News Writer

Kulula Project

Kulula, an Afrocentric-based curriculum focusing on identity, social and academic development, works with elementary-school students from the West Grove in Miami.

Students looking to help with community projects, mentor students and gain experience with ethnocultural research are encouraged to apply.

Meetings are held from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursdays. For more information, email Dorothy Addae at d.addae@umiami.edu.

CPR Course

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is offering a Heartsaver CPR and automated external defibrillator (AED) certification course from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 29 in the Wellness Enrichment Suite Classroom.

The class will teach proper CPR technique, AED use and how to provide relief for choking adults, children and infants. Attendants enrolled in the course will receive a two-year certification from the American Heart Association upon completion.

‘BeSmokeFree’

University of Miami’s national award-winning smoking cessation program, BeSmokeFree, will begin with Session 1 on Sept. 30 at the Miller School of Medicine campus. The program is a “one-stop” resource for smokers looking to quit. It is free and open to UM students as well as  to the public.

Session 2 will be at the Coral Gables campus. For a complete schedule and to register, visit miami.edu/besmokefree.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...