News Briefs 9/17

Emmy-award-winning correspondent and New York Times bestselling author Dan Harris spoke to the UM community and signed books on Wednesday night at the Newman Alumni Center. Isabella Cueto // Contributing News Writer

Kulula Project

Kulula, an Afrocentric-based curriculum focusing on identity, social and academic development, works with elementary-school students from the West Grove in Miami.

Students looking to help with community projects, mentor students and gain experience with ethnocultural research are encouraged to apply.

Meetings are held from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursdays. For more information, email Dorothy Addae at d.addae@umiami.edu.

CPR Course

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is offering a Heartsaver CPR and automated external defibrillator (AED) certification course from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 29 in the Wellness Enrichment Suite Classroom.

The class will teach proper CPR technique, AED use and how to provide relief for choking adults, children and infants. Attendants enrolled in the course will receive a two-year certification from the American Heart Association upon completion.

‘BeSmokeFree’

University of Miami’s national award-winning smoking cessation program, BeSmokeFree, will begin with Session 1 on Sept. 30 at the Miller School of Medicine campus. The program is a “one-stop” resource for smokers looking to quit. It is free and open to UM students as well as  to the public.

Session 2 will be at the Coral Gables campus. For a complete schedule and to register, visit miami.edu/besmokefree.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...