News Briefs 9/17

Emmy-award-winning correspondent and New York Times bestselling author Dan Harris spoke to the UM community and signed books on Wednesday night at the Newman Alumni Center. Isabella Cueto // Contributing News Writer

Kulula Project

Kulula, an Afrocentric-based curriculum focusing on identity, social and academic development, works with elementary-school students from the West Grove in Miami.

Students looking to help with community projects, mentor students and gain experience with ethnocultural research are encouraged to apply.

Meetings are held from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursdays. For more information, email Dorothy Addae at d.addae@umiami.edu.

CPR Course

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is offering a Heartsaver CPR and automated external defibrillator (AED) certification course from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 29 in the Wellness Enrichment Suite Classroom.

The class will teach proper CPR technique, AED use and how to provide relief for choking adults, children and infants. Attendants enrolled in the course will receive a two-year certification from the American Heart Association upon completion.

‘BeSmokeFree’

University of Miami’s national award-winning smoking cessation program, BeSmokeFree, will begin with Session 1 on Sept. 30 at the Miller School of Medicine campus. The program is a “one-stop” resource for smokers looking to quit. It is free and open to UM students as well as  to the public.

Session 2 will be at the Coral Gables campus. For a complete schedule and to register, visit miami.edu/besmokefree.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...