Edge, Music

Homecoming concert artist to be announced at Patio Jams featuring B.Miles

Courtesy B.Miles

Courtesy B.Miles

Patio Jams will feature an extra dose of excitement on Thursday as Hurricane Productions will be announcing the artist for the 2014 Homecoming Concert. The event will take place at noon and will feature snow cones, food from Buffalo Wild Wings and a performance by the local band B.Miles.

Senior Brenna Miles, the lead singer, will be performing alongside her five bandmates. A student at the Frost School of Music, Miles has been professionally performing as a singer-songwriter since she was 15.

Her professional experience includes composing and performing the song “Mistletoe,” on the Disney Holiday Magic 2009 album. She has also performed on stage with Keith Urban at the Starry Night Concert held at the University of California Los Angeles in 2010.

Miles describes herself as an “R&B-ish singer-songwriter along the lines of Lana Del Rey and Amy Winehouse.”

When it comes to songwriting, words come first, she said. According to Miles, although music speaks, language speaks louder, and most people can relate better to strong lyrics.

Miles said she covers themes in her own life that she feels most people can relate to, and, as she puts it, “misery loves miserable company.”

Over the summer, Miles recorded an EP in New York City that will combine her soulful, R&B vocals with driving beats and a “dirty Western” vibe.

She is currently working on a new song, “Nine Matches.” This song is a down-tempo tune with Lorde-like beat-and-synth-pad-heavy rhythms, which pair nicely with Miles’ dancing, vocal melody. If nothing else, Miles has a great voice. Clearly influenced by her idol, Amy Winehouse, both her pitch and tonal dexterity and precision are impressive.

After graduation, Miles plans to head back west to continue to pursue a musical career.

“The dream is big and the dream is happening,” she said.

Nick Sirio

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...