Basketball, Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Field hockey club looks toward new season

While many clubs seek regional or national accolades and achievements, the Club Field Hockey Team aims to provide a carefree environment for students to play the sport and have fun.

“This club is more informal and light-hearted,” Tina Green, president of the club, said.

According to Green, who took over as president last spring, the club in the past has always tried to organize social events for the members whenever possible.

Although the club is not as competitive compared to other sports clubs at the university, it still tries to organize friendly games against other field hockey clubs around the region.

Two years ago, the club traveled to the University of South Florida to compete in a tournament against Towson University and the University of Tampa.

The club’s main obstacle was low participation, which meant they were unable to take part in travelling as a team.

“We could not travel last year because we could not get enough members to stay active in the club,” Jessi Dipette, treasurer of the club, said. “Since our team was not large enough, we could not get a large enough budget to sponsor these types of events.”

This year, it seems that the participation dilemma may have taken a turn for the better.

According to Green, the club received 90 signatures during Cane Fest. During the club’s first meeting, almost 20 people attended and participated for the first practice.

“It’s a huge improvement over last year so far,” said Dipette. “Everyone in practice today seems really enthusiastic.”

The club is implementing new measures to keep members interested and able to commit to the club.

Jenna Jacobs, captain of the club, said that flexibility of the practice schedule was another problem they faced last year. Members often had conflicts on practice days.

“This year, we’ve managed to get more time slots allocated for team practice, so we are able to cater to the majority on whether they prefer trainings on the normal weekdays or even the weekends,” Jacobs said.

According to Dipette, this year the club is also trying to collaborate with other club sports in the university to organize friendly games that everyone can play.

“We want members to know that we are not only a field hockey team, but a group which has fun and socializes,” Jacobs said.

The club tentatively trains on Mondays and Wednesdays from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the Intramural Fields.

For more information, contact umiamifieldhockey@gmail.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Mason Liu

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...