Dress with purpose for progress

How did you get ready this morning? For whom and for what did you prepare yourself? Is there intention in your outfit, or is it just a means to prevent public indecency?

Caring about your clothes can change your life.

Your clothes convey a message to people even before you yourself have a chance to. They are an external representation of the internal. Your outfit can tell someone that you are well put together, thoughtful, creative, fun to be around and smart. The positive self-image you can create will allow you to meet people with ease and navigate social situations with grace. First impressions are everything; make them great.

On any given day, you never know what opportunities you will have. You could meet the girl of your dreams. A casting director could see you and launch you to stardom. Dress like the person they will want to talk to.

I am not advocating overdressing. You do not have to wear a suit to go to Publix. For that, you can throw on a navy T-shirt, well-fitting and well-made sweats, and some cool sneakers and look chic enough to meet Heidi Klum in the snack aisle.

Imitation is the first step toward finding your own sense of style. Copy the looks of the fashion experts. The GQ magazine is a great place to start. Spend time on its website. Check out the writings and teachings of Glenn O’Brien. Follow well-dressed profiles on Instagram, like @nickwooster.

Having style does not need to be expensive. Websites such as jackthreads.com and frankandoak.com offer affordable alternatives to more expensive labels. Go to thrift stores. Shop sales in stores and online.

It is not effeminate to care about clothes. Frank Sinatra cared about his clothes and women did not seem to mind him. You are no longer a boy; you are a gentleman. Your clothes will demand the respect you deserve. Would Audrey Hepburn approach you with what you are wearing?

Jack Rieger is a freshman majoring in jazz studies.

Jack Rieger

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...