Dress with purpose for progress

How did you get ready this morning? For whom and for what did you prepare yourself? Is there intention in your outfit, or is it just a means to prevent public indecency?

Caring about your clothes can change your life.

Your clothes convey a message to people even before you yourself have a chance to. They are an external representation of the internal. Your outfit can tell someone that you are well put together, thoughtful, creative, fun to be around and smart. The positive self-image you can create will allow you to meet people with ease and navigate social situations with grace. First impressions are everything; make them great.

On any given day, you never know what opportunities you will have. You could meet the girl of your dreams. A casting director could see you and launch you to stardom. Dress like the person they will want to talk to.

I am not advocating overdressing. You do not have to wear a suit to go to Publix. For that, you can throw on a navy T-shirt, well-fitting and well-made sweats, and some cool sneakers and look chic enough to meet Heidi Klum in the snack aisle.

Imitation is the first step toward finding your own sense of style. Copy the looks of the fashion experts. The GQ magazine is a great place to start. Spend time on its website. Check out the writings and teachings of Glenn O’Brien. Follow well-dressed profiles on Instagram, like @nickwooster.

Having style does not need to be expensive. Websites such as jackthreads.com and frankandoak.com offer affordable alternatives to more expensive labels. Go to thrift stores. Shop sales in stores and online.

It is not effeminate to care about clothes. Frank Sinatra cared about his clothes and women did not seem to mind him. You are no longer a boy; you are a gentleman. Your clothes will demand the respect you deserve. Would Audrey Hepburn approach you with what you are wearing?

Jack Rieger is a freshman majoring in jazz studies.

Jack Rieger

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...