Featured, Football, Sports, Video

Hurricanes redshirt quarterback Kevin Olsen ‘no longer a student at UM’ after DUI arrest

Coach Al Golden expressed his disappointment in the wake of Kevin Olsen's suspension due to a DUI arrest, as he speaks to reporters on the practice field Monday morning. Alina Zerpa // Copy Editor

Coach Al Golden expressed his disappointment regarding Kevin Olsen’s suspension due to a DUI arrest, as he speaks to reporters on the practice field Monday morning. Alina Zerpa // Copy Editor

Redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Olsen is no longer a student at the University of Miami as of Tuesday, according to the Office of Communications for Athletics.

Olsen was arrested near the Red Road Commons apartment buildings early Monday morning for driving under the influence (DUI) and possession of a stolen license.

In a press conference Tuesday, Head Coach Al Golden said that, although Olsen will not be returning to the university, this is not the end for him.

Olsen // Courtesy Hurricane Sports

Olsen // Courtesy Hurricane Sports

“He’ll come out on top,” he said. “The next step is to look forward and get on the right track and be successful. And he will.”

Golden said that he has known the Olsen family for a long time, which made the decision to remove him difficult.

“I‘ve known the Olsen family since when I got into coaching in 1995,” he said. “I’ve watched him grow up.”

Golden first announced that Olsen had been suspended indefinitely from all Miami Hurricanes football team activities at a press conference Monday.

According to the police report, Olsen was in possession of four identifications, including one from another member of the football team. He also reportedly stated, “the New Jersey and North Carolina one are good, but the Maryland one is fake.”

Olsen took a breathalyzer test and had a blood alcohol level of .04, which is above Florida’s .02 legal limit for drivers that are under 21-years-old.

This comes on the heels of Olsen’s prior suspension for the season-opening game against Louisville after failing a drug test.

Erika Glass and Aliza Zerpa contributed to this report.

Courtney Fiorini

Alina Zerpa

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...