Featured, Football, Sports, Video

Hurricanes redshirt quarterback Kevin Olsen ‘no longer a student at UM’ after DUI arrest

Coach Al Golden expressed his disappointment in the wake of Kevin Olsen's suspension due to a DUI arrest, as he speaks to reporters on the practice field Monday morning. Alina Zerpa // Copy Editor

Coach Al Golden expressed his disappointment regarding Kevin Olsen’s suspension due to a DUI arrest, as he speaks to reporters on the practice field Monday morning. Alina Zerpa // Copy Editor

Redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Olsen is no longer a student at the University of Miami as of Tuesday, according to the Office of Communications for Athletics.

Olsen was arrested near the Red Road Commons apartment buildings early Monday morning for driving under the influence (DUI) and possession of a stolen license.

In a press conference Tuesday, Head Coach Al Golden said that, although Olsen will not be returning to the university, this is not the end for him.

Olsen // Courtesy Hurricane Sports

Olsen // Courtesy Hurricane Sports

“He’ll come out on top,” he said. “The next step is to look forward and get on the right track and be successful. And he will.”

Golden said that he has known the Olsen family for a long time, which made the decision to remove him difficult.

“I‘ve known the Olsen family since when I got into coaching in 1995,” he said. “I’ve watched him grow up.”

Golden first announced that Olsen had been suspended indefinitely from all Miami Hurricanes football team activities at a press conference Monday.

According to the police report, Olsen was in possession of four identifications, including one from another member of the football team. He also reportedly stated, “the New Jersey and North Carolina one are good, but the Maryland one is fake.”

Olsen took a breathalyzer test and had a blood alcohol level of .04, which is above Florida’s .02 legal limit for drivers that are under 21-years-old.

This comes on the heels of Olsen’s prior suspension for the season-opening game against Louisville after failing a drug test.

Erika Glass and Aliza Zerpa contributed to this report.

Courtney Fiorini

Alina Zerpa

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...