Featured, Football, Sports, Video

Hurricanes redshirt quarterback Kevin Olsen ‘no longer a student at UM’ after DUI arrest

Coach Al Golden expressed his disappointment in the wake of Kevin Olsen's suspension due to a DUI arrest, as he speaks to reporters on the practice field Monday morning. Alina Zerpa // Copy Editor

Coach Al Golden expressed his disappointment regarding Kevin Olsen’s suspension due to a DUI arrest, as he speaks to reporters on the practice field Monday morning. Alina Zerpa // Copy Editor

Redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Olsen is no longer a student at the University of Miami as of Tuesday, according to the Office of Communications for Athletics.

Olsen was arrested near the Red Road Commons apartment buildings early Monday morning for driving under the influence (DUI) and possession of a stolen license.

In a press conference Tuesday, Head Coach Al Golden said that, although Olsen will not be returning to the university, this is not the end for him.

Olsen // Courtesy Hurricane Sports

Olsen // Courtesy Hurricane Sports

“He’ll come out on top,” he said. “The next step is to look forward and get on the right track and be successful. And he will.”

Golden said that he has known the Olsen family for a long time, which made the decision to remove him difficult.

“I‘ve known the Olsen family since when I got into coaching in 1995,” he said. “I’ve watched him grow up.”

Golden first announced that Olsen had been suspended indefinitely from all Miami Hurricanes football team activities at a press conference Monday.

According to the police report, Olsen was in possession of four identifications, including one from another member of the football team. He also reportedly stated, “the New Jersey and North Carolina one are good, but the Maryland one is fake.”

Olsen took a breathalyzer test and had a blood alcohol level of .04, which is above Florida’s .02 legal limit for drivers that are under 21-years-old.

This comes on the heels of Olsen’s prior suspension for the season-opening game against Louisville after failing a drug test.

Erika Glass and Aliza Zerpa contributed to this report.

Courtney Fiorini

Alina Zerpa

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...