Featured, Football, Sports, Video

Hurricanes redshirt quarterback Kevin Olsen ‘no longer a student at UM’ after DUI arrest

Coach Al Golden expressed his disappointment in the wake of Kevin Olsen's suspension due to a DUI arrest, as he speaks to reporters on the practice field Monday morning. Alina Zerpa // Copy Editor

Coach Al Golden expressed his disappointment regarding Kevin Olsen’s suspension due to a DUI arrest, as he speaks to reporters on the practice field Monday morning. Alina Zerpa // Copy Editor

Redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Olsen is no longer a student at the University of Miami as of Tuesday, according to the Office of Communications for Athletics.

Olsen was arrested near the Red Road Commons apartment buildings early Monday morning for driving under the influence (DUI) and possession of a stolen license.

In a press conference Tuesday, Head Coach Al Golden said that, although Olsen will not be returning to the university, this is not the end for him.

Olsen // Courtesy Hurricane Sports

Olsen // Courtesy Hurricane Sports

“He’ll come out on top,” he said. “The next step is to look forward and get on the right track and be successful. And he will.”

Golden said that he has known the Olsen family for a long time, which made the decision to remove him difficult.

“I‘ve known the Olsen family since when I got into coaching in 1995,” he said. “I’ve watched him grow up.”

Golden first announced that Olsen had been suspended indefinitely from all Miami Hurricanes football team activities at a press conference Monday.

According to the police report, Olsen was in possession of four identifications, including one from another member of the football team. He also reportedly stated, “the New Jersey and North Carolina one are good, but the Maryland one is fake.”

Olsen took a breathalyzer test and had a blood alcohol level of .04, which is above Florida’s .02 legal limit for drivers that are under 21-years-old.

This comes on the heels of Olsen’s prior suspension for the season-opening game against Louisville after failing a drug test.

Erika Glass and Aliza Zerpa contributed to this report.

Courtney Fiorini

Alina Zerpa

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...