Sports, Tennis

Women’s tennis team takes victory in Duke invitational

Photo Courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Photo Courtesy HurricaneSports.com

After an eventful summer that included winning the singles bracket in a Gainesville ITA circuit event that led to a No. 9 ranking in the ITA preseason poll, the Hurricanes women’s tennis team walked onto the Cary, North Carolina courts this weekend with confidence.

Three freshmen followed veterans Clementia Riobueno, Monique Albuquerque, and 18-ranked Stephanie Wagner into Duke University’s Fab Four tournament, and they all left with something to brag about.

All-American Riobueno posted one of the most impressive matches, a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 win over Virginia’s 32nd-ranked Stephanie Nauta. Riobueno went on to lose to North Carolina’s Haley Carter in the third place round.

The dominant, third-ranked duo of Riobueno and Albuquerque continued their superb teamwork with easy 8-2 and 8-3 wins in the early rounds to go on to win the doubles tournament against Mississippi’s Natalie Suk and Zalina Khairudinova. This dynamic duo took the double’s bracket Sunday in an 8-5 victory against Ole Miss.

Wagner and true freshman Sinead Lohan played for the third-place match. Wagner, a junior from Amberg, Germany, advanced to the final round of singles play after two commanding, straight-set wins in the first and second rounds. She ousted No. 14 Brianna Morgan of Florida for the Singles Final gold.

Freshman Wendy Zhang started her college career strong, picking up two wins against Furman’s Karlee Bryde in straight sets and North Carolina’s Marika Akkerman 7-6(1), 6-1. The China native would then go on to out-duel another Furman Paladin – this time being freshman Ansley Speaks.

By Saturday, the Canes bagged 14 wins, two finals appearances.

The Hurricanes will play in invitationals and regional tournaments until the regular season starts in January. Last season, they went 21-6 in head-to-head matches, including a 10-game, month-long win streak that constituted of eight ACC teams.

The Canes will host their next match on Sept. 19 for the Miami Fall Invite.

Alexa Pappas

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...