Sports, Tennis

Women’s tennis team takes victory in Duke invitational

Photo Courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Photo Courtesy HurricaneSports.com

After an eventful summer that included winning the singles bracket in a Gainesville ITA circuit event that led to a No. 9 ranking in the ITA preseason poll, the Hurricanes women’s tennis team walked onto the Cary, North Carolina courts this weekend with confidence.

Three freshmen followed veterans Clementia Riobueno, Monique Albuquerque, and 18-ranked Stephanie Wagner into Duke University’s Fab Four tournament, and they all left with something to brag about.

All-American Riobueno posted one of the most impressive matches, a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 win over Virginia’s 32nd-ranked Stephanie Nauta. Riobueno went on to lose to North Carolina’s Haley Carter in the third place round.

The dominant, third-ranked duo of Riobueno and Albuquerque continued their superb teamwork with easy 8-2 and 8-3 wins in the early rounds to go on to win the doubles tournament against Mississippi’s Natalie Suk and Zalina Khairudinova. This dynamic duo took the double’s bracket Sunday in an 8-5 victory against Ole Miss.

Wagner and true freshman Sinead Lohan played for the third-place match. Wagner, a junior from Amberg, Germany, advanced to the final round of singles play after two commanding, straight-set wins in the first and second rounds. She ousted No. 14 Brianna Morgan of Florida for the Singles Final gold.

Freshman Wendy Zhang started her college career strong, picking up two wins against Furman’s Karlee Bryde in straight sets and North Carolina’s Marika Akkerman 7-6(1), 6-1. The China native would then go on to out-duel another Furman Paladin – this time being freshman Ansley Speaks.

By Saturday, the Canes bagged 14 wins, two finals appearances.

The Hurricanes will play in invitationals and regional tournaments until the regular season starts in January. Last season, they went 21-6 in head-to-head matches, including a 10-game, month-long win streak that constituted of eight ACC teams.

The Canes will host their next match on Sept. 19 for the Miami Fall Invite.

Alexa Pappas

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...