News Briefs 9/15

Lambda Theta Alpha member Lena Habash preforms the sorority’s call during the PartyWalk event of National Pan-Hellenic Council Week. Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

Ice Cream Party

In honor of Norm Parsons, executive director of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, a “Sweet Goodbye” celebration for his retirement will feature an ice cream party at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the Centre Court of the Wellness Center. Students are invited to indulge in a sweet treat while celebrating the work that Parsons has dedicated to the university for over 30 years.

Ibis Reading Series

The Ibis Literary Reading and Performance Series of 2014-2015, sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences, The English Department the University of Miami Creative Writing Program, will kick off Thursday.  A variety of writers and posts from a range of specialties in language, culture, and the narrative have been invited to campus as part of the event. For September, poets Jaswinder Bolina, Neil de la Flor and Oliver de la Paz will be featured. The first Ibis Reading Series will take place at 7 p.m. Thursday at the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery and Conference Center at the Wesley Foundation House.

“Put it Down” Safety Fair

The Florida Department of Transportation District Six and the University of Miami are partnering for “Put It Down,” a safety campaign educating students on the risks of using a phone while driving. The annual safety fair returns to educate on the consequences of distracted driving, and how to ensure safely navigating the roads. The annual safety fair returns to UM from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday on the Rock.

Emily Dabau may be contacted at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...