News Briefs 9/15

Lambda Theta Alpha member Lena Habash preforms the sorority’s call during the PartyWalk event of National Pan-Hellenic Council Week. Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

Ice Cream Party

In honor of Norm Parsons, executive director of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, a “Sweet Goodbye” celebration for his retirement will feature an ice cream party at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the Centre Court of the Wellness Center. Students are invited to indulge in a sweet treat while celebrating the work that Parsons has dedicated to the university for over 30 years.

Ibis Reading Series

The Ibis Literary Reading and Performance Series of 2014-2015, sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences, The English Department the University of Miami Creative Writing Program, will kick off Thursday.  A variety of writers and posts from a range of specialties in language, culture, and the narrative have been invited to campus as part of the event. For September, poets Jaswinder Bolina, Neil de la Flor and Oliver de la Paz will be featured. The first Ibis Reading Series will take place at 7 p.m. Thursday at the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery and Conference Center at the Wesley Foundation House.

“Put it Down” Safety Fair

The Florida Department of Transportation District Six and the University of Miami are partnering for “Put It Down,” a safety campaign educating students on the risks of using a phone while driving. The annual safety fair returns to educate on the consequences of distracted driving, and how to ensure safely navigating the roads. The annual safety fair returns to UM from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday on the Rock.

Emily Dabau may be contacted at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...