Campus Life, Featured, News

Food vendor serves Mediterranean cuisine

New to campus this semester, The Pita Pad serves kosher shawarma and chicken tenders amongst their other offerings. Talia Horvath // Contributing Photographer

Eli Benhamou stands outside of the Merrick building every day, tempting passersby with the scent of shawarma spices.

His thick, silver beard, yarmulke and warm eyes are recognizable from the seven years he spent working as the head of Oasis, the on-campus Kosher deli that was displaced this year.

Now, he has welcomed students into the world of the Pita Pad, a new Mediterranean food kiosk located between the Merrick and Ferre buildings.

Benhamou is its supervisor – a man who has worked in the food industry for more than 30 years.

Although the kiosk is tucked away in a Jurassic Park-esque niche of campus, Benhamou believes that the location has been fruitful.

“This spot was the only one left on campus to set up the stand; it wasn’t selected by me,” he said. “Nevertheless, students are constantly passing by and asking what the smell is, inquiring upon what we’re selling.”

What they’re selling is pita and platters – of shawarma, schnitzel (simply called chicken tenders on the menu), and a variety of salads. These salads include eggplant, red cabbage, hummus, tahini and tabouli.

Prices range from $6.99 for a veggie pita to $14.99 for a chicken tender plate. Also present are potato knishes (these run out fast), muffins, chocolates and candies.

The Pita Pad is Kosher – a religious dietary regiment that Benhamou himself has observed his whole life – and is supervised by the Chabad at the University of Miami. Benhamou has gained prior experience with applying Kosher dietary laws in a commercial setting by working as a Kosher rabbi on cruise ships.

Despite the fact that the Pita Pad, like all on-campus dining options, is sponsored by food service company Chartwells, eating at this kiosk feels very personal.

The Pita Pad essentially markets itself with the potent scent wafting from the shawarma grill. The meat rotates on a vertical rotisserie rod and is marinated in 12 spices for 24 hours before portions are stripped for each student.

Customers can also select every salad item and sauce that goes into their pita or platter. Then, the meal is prepared in front of them by Benhamou and his assistant.

Senior Berna Berk, who has eaten at the Pita Pad four times now, said she identifies with the new dining option because of her ancestral origins.

“My family is 100 percent Turkish, and we have a food like shawarma but with a different name in my country,” Berk said. “The Pita Pad tasted like my home-cooked meals and is surprisingly very yummy for on-campus food.”

However, Benhamou emphasized that the Pita Pad is about more than catering to Kosher students on campus or any one specific culture. Because the food is delivered to campus daily, he says it can be an appealing fresh option for anyone.

“Our motto is to provide fresh and good-tasting food for all students, and we’ve been very successful here thus far,” he said.

This can be seen in Pita Pad’s wider appeal, including for vegetarian students.

Junior Smitha Vasan, ordering a meal at the kiosk, said that she came because she has always liked Mediterranean food and had recently heard about it.

“I’ve been strictly vegetarian for my whole life, so I liked that I was able to order the vegetarian wrap. … I definitely plan on going back,” Vasan said. “It’s hard to find a lot of options on campus that taste good and adhere to my limitations.”

The kiosk opens at 11 a.m. Monday through Friday and closes at 7 p.m. every day except for Friday, when Benhamou closes up shop at 3 p.m. in observance of the Sabbath.

IF YOU GO

Where: Outside of the Merrick Building

When: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday

Payment: Cash, Credit and CaneCard

If you are interested in part-time advertising work for the Pita Pad, email eli.benhamou@gmail.com for more information.

Lauren Goode

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...