Edge, Fashion, Featured

Breaking down Miami dress codes

Miami is a city known for its distinct style. Dress codes can vary for one event, which can make it difficult to know what’s appropriate. These unwritten rules can be baffling, which is why we’re here to help. Here are Edge’s suggestions on what to wear for different occasions, from a networking event to a casual night out at the Grove. For more style tips, visit themiamihurricane.polyvore.com.

BUSINESS CASUAL

GUYS:

This term means “no tie.” A light, unconstructed blazer with a button down shirt can work nicely. Pair with some chinos and suede buc shoes. Jeans are usually a valid option, but use discretion.

GIRLS:

Clean-cut pieces with menswear-inspired accessories are both trendy and office-appropriate. If going monochromatic, break it up with subtle shades like burgundy and denim. 

SMART CASUAL

GIRLS:

Perfect for class presentations, casual dates and everyday wear, pair a striped tunic and loose jeans with brightly colored accessories for a look that is interesting, but not overbearing.

GUYS:

One step below full business attire, an easy way to transition from business casual is to lose the jeans and increase the seriousness of your shoes. The blazer from business casual easily works here.

GROVE THURSDAYS

This look will take you straight from a late Thursday class to an evening out– no wardrobe change necessary. Cotton pieces with a pair of low heels keep this look casual despite its dressy silhouette.

A night out with friends is your chance to take some sartorial risks. Be as exciting in your dress as you want the night to be. You can be more grunge, more raw, less polished, but with intention. Try a shirt (not T-shirt) with some character – florals, Hawaiian, dots, geometric patterns, whatever you wish. It is best to pair a crazy shirt with a basic pant, unless you are well invested in the world of style and have the confidence to break boundaries. With some great shoes (suede bucs, desert boots, leather brogue boots, or really cool sneakers) you will be ready to go wherever the night may take you.

WEEKEND PARTY

GIRLS:

This flirty ensemble begs for a Friday night out: dress up a bohemian crop and cutoffs with peep-toe heels and a kimono blazer– then add a cutesy, conversation-starter clutch. The best part is that comfort is not compromised.

GUYS:

A weekend party is open to different looks: if you want to be the life of the party, wear a shirt or pant with a bold print. If you want to talk to a few people you know, turn down the volume; this mode allows you to slip in and out of the party.

Check out more style inspiration and fashion boards at themiamihurricane.polyvore.com. 

Check out themiamihurricane.polyvore.com for more fashion inspiration.

COCKTAIL PARTY

GIRLS:

Give the LBD a makeover with a lacey black-and-navy pattern dress. Add a pop of fall color with jewel earrings and a wine-colored lipstick.

GUYS:

It’s time for the tie to come out. The tie can have some creativity to it, if so desired. A well-tailored suit will make you look and feel great. A spread collar white shirt can do no wrong and will allow the tie to be the spark of the outfit.

GARDEN PARTY

GIRLS:

Soft pastels in a bold pattern keep this upscale look outdoor-appropriate. A structured dress and pointed pumps are perfect for weddings, graduations or a party in the garden. Top this look off with some simple, elegant jewelry.

GUYS:

The garden party is more formal than you may think, but still carries a relaxed and light atmosphere. Stick with denim shirts, chambray shirts, short sleeve button-down shirts, shirts with a nice relaxed print, and lightweight chinos, linen, or seersucker pants. Increase the formality of the outfit with nicer shoes, such as suede bucs, derby shoes or nice loafers with heels.

GAME DAY

GUYS:

If you’ll be sitting in the general seats of the stadium, dress for comfort. It would also be wise to leave anything easily stained at home.

GIRLS:

Cheer on the Canes with a Miami-vibes tee dress and clear tote. Instead of all-over color clashing, add pops of orange with nail polish and strappy sandals.

Haley Walker

Jack Rieger

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...