Edge, Fashion, Featured

Breaking down Miami dress codes

Miami is a city known for its distinct style. Dress codes can vary for one event, which can make it difficult to know what’s appropriate. These unwritten rules can be baffling, which is why we’re here to help. Here are Edge’s suggestions on what to wear for different occasions, from a networking event to a casual night out at the Grove. For more style tips, visit themiamihurricane.polyvore.com.

BUSINESS CASUAL

GUYS:

This term means “no tie.” A light, unconstructed blazer with a button down shirt can work nicely. Pair with some chinos and suede buc shoes. Jeans are usually a valid option, but use discretion.

GIRLS:

Clean-cut pieces with menswear-inspired accessories are both trendy and office-appropriate. If going monochromatic, break it up with subtle shades like burgundy and denim. 

SMART CASUAL

GIRLS:

Perfect for class presentations, casual dates and everyday wear, pair a striped tunic and loose jeans with brightly colored accessories for a look that is interesting, but not overbearing.

GUYS:

One step below full business attire, an easy way to transition from business casual is to lose the jeans and increase the seriousness of your shoes. The blazer from business casual easily works here.

GROVE THURSDAYS

This look will take you straight from a late Thursday class to an evening out– no wardrobe change necessary. Cotton pieces with a pair of low heels keep this look casual despite its dressy silhouette.

A night out with friends is your chance to take some sartorial risks. Be as exciting in your dress as you want the night to be. You can be more grunge, more raw, less polished, but with intention. Try a shirt (not T-shirt) with some character – florals, Hawaiian, dots, geometric patterns, whatever you wish. It is best to pair a crazy shirt with a basic pant, unless you are well invested in the world of style and have the confidence to break boundaries. With some great shoes (suede bucs, desert boots, leather brogue boots, or really cool sneakers) you will be ready to go wherever the night may take you.

WEEKEND PARTY

GIRLS:

This flirty ensemble begs for a Friday night out: dress up a bohemian crop and cutoffs with peep-toe heels and a kimono blazer– then add a cutesy, conversation-starter clutch. The best part is that comfort is not compromised.

GUYS:

A weekend party is open to different looks: if you want to be the life of the party, wear a shirt or pant with a bold print. If you want to talk to a few people you know, turn down the volume; this mode allows you to slip in and out of the party.

Check out more style inspiration and fashion boards at themiamihurricane.polyvore.com. 

Check out themiamihurricane.polyvore.com for more fashion inspiration.

COCKTAIL PARTY

GIRLS:

Give the LBD a makeover with a lacey black-and-navy pattern dress. Add a pop of fall color with jewel earrings and a wine-colored lipstick.

GUYS:

It’s time for the tie to come out. The tie can have some creativity to it, if so desired. A well-tailored suit will make you look and feel great. A spread collar white shirt can do no wrong and will allow the tie to be the spark of the outfit.

GARDEN PARTY

GIRLS:

Soft pastels in a bold pattern keep this upscale look outdoor-appropriate. A structured dress and pointed pumps are perfect for weddings, graduations or a party in the garden. Top this look off with some simple, elegant jewelry.

GUYS:

The garden party is more formal than you may think, but still carries a relaxed and light atmosphere. Stick with denim shirts, chambray shirts, short sleeve button-down shirts, shirts with a nice relaxed print, and lightweight chinos, linen, or seersucker pants. Increase the formality of the outfit with nicer shoes, such as suede bucs, derby shoes or nice loafers with heels.

GAME DAY

GUYS:

If you’ll be sitting in the general seats of the stadium, dress for comfort. It would also be wise to leave anything easily stained at home.

GIRLS:

Cheer on the Canes with a Miami-vibes tee dress and clear tote. Instead of all-over color clashing, add pops of orange with nail polish and strappy sandals.

Haley Walker

Jack Rieger

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

Check out the latest issue of Hurricane Magazine, featuring stories on Canes football, basketball, s ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...