Academics, News

U.S. News and World Report ranks UM No. 48

U.S. News and World Report ranked the University of Miami No. 48 in the 2015 edition of its “Best Colleges” list, released Tuesday.

UM is tied with the University of Florida, and shares the spot for the No. 1 college in Florida. The university was ranked No. 44 in 2013 and No. 38 in 2012, UM’s highest ranking since U.S. News began publishing its rankings list in 1983.

UM has moved up and down the list in the last decade because of small changes to the formula U.S. News and World Report uses, according to Thomas J. LeBlanc, executive vice president and provost. LeBlanc considers the improved quality of the freshman class and a better six-year graduation rate as the main reason UM has maintained its place in the top 50.

“Those two factors largely explain our improvement in the rankings,” he said.

The U.S. News formula takes into account measures like the quality of the freshman class and retention rates that results in a numerical ranking. Retention makes up 22.5 percent of the formula, while student selectivity accounts for 12.5 percent.

Since Donna E. Shalala became president in 2001, the SAT scores and class ranks of the freshman class have increased. Between 2001 and 2013, the mean SAT score of incoming freshmen rose from 1190 to 1325, and 70 percent of freshmen were in the top 10 percent of their high school classes. The six-year graduation rate has also risen from 63 percent to 81 percent since 2001. LeBlanc would like to see the rate increase to 85 percent.

He said that many students leave for financial reasons and are unable to graduate within six years.

“We’re working on giving more students need-based aid,” he said. UM does not provide 100 percent need-based aid, but offers merit-based aid that is not based on students’ financial situations.

Senior Madeline Gonzalez exhausted her scholarships and was forced to take out a $15,000 loan. Despite this, she believes rankings are not as important as networking.

“The rankings, to me, seem to have more of an influence on college bound students than it does on those who are graduating,” she said.

Freshman Chelsea Arcalas looked at the U.S. News rankings when she applying to college but did not ultimately base her decision to attend UM on them.

“I think what matters more is what you do to maximize your experience at a school rather than a number,” Arcalas said.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...