Academics, News

U.S. News and World Report ranks UM No. 48

U.S. News and World Report ranked the University of Miami No. 48 in the 2015 edition of its “Best Colleges” list, released Tuesday.

UM is tied with the University of Florida, and shares the spot for the No. 1 college in Florida. The university was ranked No. 44 in 2013 and No. 38 in 2012, UM’s highest ranking since U.S. News began publishing its rankings list in 1983.

UM has moved up and down the list in the last decade because of small changes to the formula U.S. News and World Report uses, according to Thomas J. LeBlanc, executive vice president and provost. LeBlanc considers the improved quality of the freshman class and a better six-year graduation rate as the main reason UM has maintained its place in the top 50.

“Those two factors largely explain our improvement in the rankings,” he said.

The U.S. News formula takes into account measures like the quality of the freshman class and retention rates that results in a numerical ranking. Retention makes up 22.5 percent of the formula, while student selectivity accounts for 12.5 percent.

Since Donna E. Shalala became president in 2001, the SAT scores and class ranks of the freshman class have increased. Between 2001 and 2013, the mean SAT score of incoming freshmen rose from 1190 to 1325, and 70 percent of freshmen were in the top 10 percent of their high school classes. The six-year graduation rate has also risen from 63 percent to 81 percent since 2001. LeBlanc would like to see the rate increase to 85 percent.

He said that many students leave for financial reasons and are unable to graduate within six years.

“We’re working on giving more students need-based aid,” he said. UM does not provide 100 percent need-based aid, but offers merit-based aid that is not based on students’ financial situations.

Senior Madeline Gonzalez exhausted her scholarships and was forced to take out a $15,000 loan. Despite this, she believes rankings are not as important as networking.

“The rankings, to me, seem to have more of an influence on college bound students than it does on those who are graduating,” she said.

Freshman Chelsea Arcalas looked at the U.S. News rankings when she applying to college but did not ultimately base her decision to attend UM on them.

“I think what matters more is what you do to maximize your experience at a school rather than a number,” Arcalas said.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...