Club/Intramural Sports, Soccer, Sports, Volleyball

Sports Briefs 9/11

Volleyball

The 4-2 Hurricanes Volleyball team is shipping off to the HotelRED Invitational in Madison, Wisconsin. The Canes will play Wisconsin at 8 p.m. on Friday, Ball State at 11 a.m. on Saturday and Missouri State at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

After taking 1-2 at the TCU Nike Invitational, winning their last game 3-0 against Prairie View on Saturday, the team hopes to continue with a sweep.

Against Prairie View, Senior Emani Sims led the Canes with 10 kills. Savanah Leaf and Kelsie Groot each had nine kills. Freshman Haley Templeton pitched in with 29 assists.

Soccer

The Hurricanes soccer squad (2-4) dropped an afternoon match against FAU (3-2-1) Sunday.

Sophomore Emily Auld tied up the game at 1-1 with her first goal of the season, but Owls defender Olivia Mbala revived their lead in the 63rd minute and never looked back. This concluded the Hurricanes homestand with a 2-2 record, and the team will now travel to Portland, Ore. Friday for the Nike Portland Invitational.

Intramural Sports

Students can now get Intramural sports information as quickly and easily as checking Facebook with the REC*IT College app for iOS and Android devices. REC*IT is free to download.

The app is being used by hundreds of schools across the country. It allows users to view schedules, standings, player stats, team rosters and more.

Team captains can host group chats with their players, RSVP for games and post team success to their social media pages though the app.

For more information, visit recitcollege.com

Courtney Fiorini may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Screenshot of REC*IT app // Courtesy REC*IT

Courtney Fiorini

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...