News Briefs 9/11

As part of a Golden Key International Honour Society fundraiser, junior Kayla Kistler writes “love” with henna on a supporter’s arm. The event took place in the Breezeway on Wednesday to support World Suicide Prevention Day and fundraise for the non-profit To Write Love On Her Arms. Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance 

The Butler Center for Service & Leadership will be partnering with organizations on campus Wednesday to honor those affected by 9/11. Zeta Tau Alpha (ZTA), Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi) and the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NHPC) will be tabling at the Rock from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Donations of toiletries, canned goods and blankets will be accepted for donation to hospitals and packaged for homeless veterans. 9/11 awareness ribbons will be sold; proceeds will go to the Miami VA Healthcare system. There will also be letter-writing to service men and women. To conclude, a memorial with a candlelight vigil will take place at 7 p.m. on the Rock.

Canes for a Change Week

Monday: The the Butler Center for Service & Leadership will be hosting a BBQ and involvement fair from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday at the Rock. Students will have the opportunity to visit the different organizations tabling at the event, get information and interact with the organizations while finding ways to volunteer and get involved.

Tuesday: Join friends for some trivia from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Rathskeller. Test your skills and win prizes while meeting Butler Center student leaders and organizations focusing on volunteering and social issues

Wednesday: “Understanding Miami: A Guide to the City We Serve” will take place from 6 to 7 p.m. in the Iron Arrow Room of the Student Activities Center (SAC). It will feature a panel discussion for students to engage in conversation about the social, economic and political atmosphere of Miami.

Friday: 60 Seconds with the Butler Center will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Rock. Create your own story on how to volunteer and serve as an active citizen in the community, and you can be filmed.

Saturday: Canes LEAD will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Student Activities Center (SAC). The one-day conference will help students develop and increase awareness of leadership skills as they practice real-world leadership and diversity.

Fall Career Expo & Graduate School Fair

More than one hundred organizations will be attending the Fall Career Expo, which will be held from 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the BankUnited Center. Employers and graduate programs from across the country will be in attendance to network with University of Miami students and alumni. The expo will be split into two areas: general and technical. The Technical area will feature organizations primarily in engineering, architecture, and information technology industries, while the General area will include all other industries as well as graduate schools.

Emily Dabau may be contacted at edabau@themiamihurricane.com

Emily Dabau

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...