News Briefs 9/11

As part of a Golden Key International Honour Society fundraiser, junior Kayla Kistler writes “love” with henna on a supporter’s arm. The event took place in the Breezeway on Wednesday to support World Suicide Prevention Day and fundraise for the non-profit To Write Love On Her Arms. Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance 

The Butler Center for Service & Leadership will be partnering with organizations on campus Wednesday to honor those affected by 9/11. Zeta Tau Alpha (ZTA), Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi) and the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NHPC) will be tabling at the Rock from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Donations of toiletries, canned goods and blankets will be accepted for donation to hospitals and packaged for homeless veterans. 9/11 awareness ribbons will be sold; proceeds will go to the Miami VA Healthcare system. There will also be letter-writing to service men and women. To conclude, a memorial with a candlelight vigil will take place at 7 p.m. on the Rock.

Canes for a Change Week

Monday: The the Butler Center for Service & Leadership will be hosting a BBQ and involvement fair from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday at the Rock. Students will have the opportunity to visit the different organizations tabling at the event, get information and interact with the organizations while finding ways to volunteer and get involved.

Tuesday: Join friends for some trivia from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Rathskeller. Test your skills and win prizes while meeting Butler Center student leaders and organizations focusing on volunteering and social issues

Wednesday: “Understanding Miami: A Guide to the City We Serve” will take place from 6 to 7 p.m. in the Iron Arrow Room of the Student Activities Center (SAC). It will feature a panel discussion for students to engage in conversation about the social, economic and political atmosphere of Miami.

Friday: 60 Seconds with the Butler Center will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Rock. Create your own story on how to volunteer and serve as an active citizen in the community, and you can be filmed.

Saturday: Canes LEAD will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Student Activities Center (SAC). The one-day conference will help students develop and increase awareness of leadership skills as they practice real-world leadership and diversity.

Fall Career Expo & Graduate School Fair

More than one hundred organizations will be attending the Fall Career Expo, which will be held from 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the BankUnited Center. Employers and graduate programs from across the country will be in attendance to network with University of Miami students and alumni. The expo will be split into two areas: general and technical. The Technical area will feature organizations primarily in engineering, architecture, and information technology industries, while the General area will include all other industries as well as graduate schools.

Emily Dabau may be contacted at edabau@themiamihurricane.com

Emily Dabau

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Spots are filling up fast for the upcoming Gino DiMare Exposure Camp on January 18-19, 2020. ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...