Basketball, Club/Intramural Sports, Featured, Sports

Team aims for national title

The club basketball team gathered at the Wellness Center on Wednesday evening to practice for their upcoming competitions. The team is aiming to compete nationally.

In its second year, the Club Basketball Team has its targets set on the NIRSA National Basketball Championships next April at North Carolina State University after a successful turnout during tryouts.

“I’m really surprised by the number of talented players who showed up for tryouts this year,” Brian Davis, president of the club, said.

According to Davis, approximately 25 people tried out for the club this year. The club chose to only take seven of those people because Davis did not want too many people to be on the team and not have the chance to play.

“Thirteen people from our team last year are coming back, so we had limited spots for interested players,” said Davis.

Davis started the basketball club last year after he transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

He managed to gather 25 people in a short span of two months to launch the team, and they finished at an impressive third place in the first tournament they competed in at Florida Atlantic University.

Since then, they have competed in multiple tournaments around the region, including Nationals last year. Davis coaches the team personally.

Last year, the main obstacles that the club faced were financing and transportation. The Club Sports Program provided the club with a venue to train, but not a mode of transportation to get to other universities for matches and tournaments. As such, the members had to carpool and pay out of their own pockets to fund the trips. This year the Club Sports program bought vans for the club.

Ronnie Braithwaite, treasurer of the club, said he was exited that they got vans this year.

According to Braithwaite, the club also held some fundraising events earlier this year. The money collected will go great lengths in helping the club purchase new equipment as well as financing the expenses incurred in traveling around and competing.

The team trains every Monday and Wednesday night in the indoor courts on the second floor of the Wellness Center.

Mason Liu

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...