Edge, Television

TMH’s Top Telecasts for Fall 2014

With fall right around the corner comes a flurry of promising new TV shows. The Miami Hurricane knows you’re very busy, so we’ve watched all the trailers and conducted research so you don’t have to waste time on shows that will inevitably be canceled.

“How to Get Away with Murder” Premieres 10 p.m. Sept. 25 on ABC

If you consider yourself a pop culture aficionado and don’t know the name “Shonda Rhimes,” you’re wrong. Luckily that can be remedied by watching ABC on Thursdays this fall: “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal,” and the new “How to Get Away with Murder.” Much of the hype about the new show seems to come from Rhimes’s reputation as a consistent source of very successful television dramas. However, the casting of Viola Davis (“The Help”) as formidable law professor and Matt McGorry (“Orange Is The New Black”) has garnered attention for this legal thriller.

“American Horror Story: Freak Show” Airs 10 p.m. Oct. 8 on FX

The fourth season of the ever-unpredictable series tells the story of a freak show in southern Florida in 1952 – one of the last of its kind. Though not for the faint of heart, we’ll watch it because we love to be disturbed. This will be the last season with Jessica Lange, the Oscar and Emmy award-winning star who has been one of the few consistently recurring actors on the show.

“Utopia” Airs 8 p.m. Sundays on FOX

Fifteen people embark on a year-long social experiment in isolation with limited supplies and plenty of opinions while being filmed by remote-controlled cameras. The goal: create their own world. FOX has gone out on a limb with this project, which differs from other reality TV trials like “Survivor” or “Naked and Afraid,” because there is no competition. Definitely anticipate some conflict, but without a prize or host to mediate.

“A to Z” Premieres 9:30 p.m. Oct. 2 on NBC

Still missing ‘How I Met Your Mother’? We are too. Thankfully NBC’s “A to Z” looks like it has potential to fill the gap; and not just because the “Mother” (Cristin Milioti) is the star. Andrew (Ben Feldman), the hopeless romantic who works at an Internet dating site, falls for sensible lawyer Zelda. The show chronicles their meeting and their relationship from … well, you know. It’s quick-witted and charming, in a manner that hasn’t been seen since red cowboy boots were in.

“Bob’s Burgers” Airs 7:30 p.m. Oct. 5 on FOX

After winning an Emmy for “Outstanding Animated Program,” “Bob’s Burgers” returns for its fifth season on Sunday, Oct. 5, and it’s critical you watch it. The show features more puns, absurd musical numbers, extensive pop culture references and more gentle mockery of beloved tropes than you’d believe possible. Think “The Simpsons” and “Family Guy,” but smarter. Catch up on old episodes on Netflix and Hulu.

Honorable mentions: “Red Band Society” (9 p.m. Sept. 17 on FOX); “Gotham” (8 p.m. Sept. 22 on FOX), and “Black-ish” (9:30 p.m. Sept. 24.)

Kathryn Collins

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...