News Briefs 9/8

NPHC Week

The University of Miami’s National Pan-Hellenic Council Week has begun. Here are events to look forward to this week.

Monday: Professional development with the Toppel Career Center and the Multicultural Student Affairs begins at 6:30 p.m. at the Toppel loft.

Tuesday: Kompa dancing at the patio with Planet Kreyol begins at 5 p.m. at the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio.

Wednesday: An informational meeting to mix and mingle with the Greek organizations will be held at 7 p.m. in the University Center Storm Surge Room, the former location for Oasis Cafe.

Thursday: On the National Day of Service, NPHC will meet with survivors or those impacted by the September 11 attacks for words of encouragement. Words for Survivors is from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at The Rock.

Friday: The Party Walk will have stepping, strolling and saluting taking over the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Wellness Center Party

Beginning at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, the Department of Wellness and Recreation will host a late night program on the Intramural Fields near Hecht and Stanford residential colleges. There will be inflatable games and an ice cream sundae bar. All UM students are welcome and no RSVP is required.

Grandparents’ Day

UGenerations and Random Acts of Kindness will be in the UC Breezeway Monday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. encouraging students to write and mail letters to their grandparents.

Canes LEAD

The one-day leadership conference hosted by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 20. It will prepare participants for leadership through lessons on leadership and diversity in a global society. Participants will attend workshops and breakout sessions on real-world leadership concepts and learn from community leaders, professors and professions. Registration on OrgSync ends Sept. 18.

Healthy U Video Contest

Student organizations can create a short public service announcement (30 to 60 seconds) on a health topic to win money for the organization. Videos must be submitted Monday through Sept. 19. Voting will take place the week of Sept. 22 and winners will be announced in early October. Prizes for the three videos with the most likes include $500, $300 and $200 respectively. For more information, visit miami.edu/HCN.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...