News Briefs 9/8

NPHC Week

The University of Miami’s National Pan-Hellenic Council Week has begun. Here are events to look forward to this week.

Monday: Professional development with the Toppel Career Center and the Multicultural Student Affairs begins at 6:30 p.m. at the Toppel loft.

Tuesday: Kompa dancing at the patio with Planet Kreyol begins at 5 p.m. at the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio.

Wednesday: An informational meeting to mix and mingle with the Greek organizations will be held at 7 p.m. in the University Center Storm Surge Room, the former location for Oasis Cafe.

Thursday: On the National Day of Service, NPHC will meet with survivors or those impacted by the September 11 attacks for words of encouragement. Words for Survivors is from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at The Rock.

Friday: The Party Walk will have stepping, strolling and saluting taking over the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Wellness Center Party

Beginning at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, the Department of Wellness and Recreation will host a late night program on the Intramural Fields near Hecht and Stanford residential colleges. There will be inflatable games and an ice cream sundae bar. All UM students are welcome and no RSVP is required.

Grandparents’ Day

UGenerations and Random Acts of Kindness will be in the UC Breezeway Monday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. encouraging students to write and mail letters to their grandparents.

Canes LEAD

The one-day leadership conference hosted by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 20. It will prepare participants for leadership through lessons on leadership and diversity in a global society. Participants will attend workshops and breakout sessions on real-world leadership concepts and learn from community leaders, professors and professions. Registration on OrgSync ends Sept. 18.

Healthy U Video Contest

Student organizations can create a short public service announcement (30 to 60 seconds) on a health topic to win money for the organization. Videos must be submitted Monday through Sept. 19. Voting will take place the week of Sept. 22 and winners will be announced in early October. Prizes for the three videos with the most likes include $500, $300 and $200 respectively. For more information, visit miami.edu/HCN.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...