News Briefs 9/8

NPHC Week

The University of Miami’s National Pan-Hellenic Council Week has begun. Here are events to look forward to this week.

Monday: Professional development with the Toppel Career Center and the Multicultural Student Affairs begins at 6:30 p.m. at the Toppel loft.

Tuesday: Kompa dancing at the patio with Planet Kreyol begins at 5 p.m. at the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio.

Wednesday: An informational meeting to mix and mingle with the Greek organizations will be held at 7 p.m. in the University Center Storm Surge Room, the former location for Oasis Cafe.

Thursday: On the National Day of Service, NPHC will meet with survivors or those impacted by the September 11 attacks for words of encouragement. Words for Survivors is from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at The Rock.

Friday: The Party Walk will have stepping, strolling and saluting taking over the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Wellness Center Party

Beginning at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, the Department of Wellness and Recreation will host a late night program on the Intramural Fields near Hecht and Stanford residential colleges. There will be inflatable games and an ice cream sundae bar. All UM students are welcome and no RSVP is required.

Grandparents’ Day

UGenerations and Random Acts of Kindness will be in the UC Breezeway Monday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. encouraging students to write and mail letters to their grandparents.

Canes LEAD

The one-day leadership conference hosted by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 20. It will prepare participants for leadership through lessons on leadership and diversity in a global society. Participants will attend workshops and breakout sessions on real-world leadership concepts and learn from community leaders, professors and professions. Registration on OrgSync ends Sept. 18.

Healthy U Video Contest

Student organizations can create a short public service announcement (30 to 60 seconds) on a health topic to win money for the organization. Videos must be submitted Monday through Sept. 19. Voting will take place the week of Sept. 22 and winners will be announced in early October. Prizes for the three videos with the most likes include $500, $300 and $200 respectively. For more information, visit miami.edu/HCN.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...