News Briefs 9/8

NPHC Week

The University of Miami’s National Pan-Hellenic Council Week has begun. Here are events to look forward to this week.

Monday: Professional development with the Toppel Career Center and the Multicultural Student Affairs begins at 6:30 p.m. at the Toppel loft.

Tuesday: Kompa dancing at the patio with Planet Kreyol begins at 5 p.m. at the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio.

Wednesday: An informational meeting to mix and mingle with the Greek organizations will be held at 7 p.m. in the University Center Storm Surge Room, the former location for Oasis Cafe.

Thursday: On the National Day of Service, NPHC will meet with survivors or those impacted by the September 11 attacks for words of encouragement. Words for Survivors is from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at The Rock.

Friday: The Party Walk will have stepping, strolling and saluting taking over the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Wellness Center Party

Beginning at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, the Department of Wellness and Recreation will host a late night program on the Intramural Fields near Hecht and Stanford residential colleges. There will be inflatable games and an ice cream sundae bar. All UM students are welcome and no RSVP is required.

Grandparents’ Day

UGenerations and Random Acts of Kindness will be in the UC Breezeway Monday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. encouraging students to write and mail letters to their grandparents.

Canes LEAD

The one-day leadership conference hosted by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 20. It will prepare participants for leadership through lessons on leadership and diversity in a global society. Participants will attend workshops and breakout sessions on real-world leadership concepts and learn from community leaders, professors and professions. Registration on OrgSync ends Sept. 18.

Healthy U Video Contest

Student organizations can create a short public service announcement (30 to 60 seconds) on a health topic to win money for the organization. Videos must be submitted Monday through Sept. 19. Voting will take place the week of Sept. 22 and winners will be announced in early October. Prizes for the three videos with the most likes include $500, $300 and $200 respectively. For more information, visit miami.edu/HCN.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...