Administration, News

Donna E. Shalala will step down at school year’s end

Photo Courtesy UM Media

Photo Courtesy UM Media

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala announced Monday morning that she will be stepping down from her position at the end of the 2014-2015 school year in a Dialogue email to the university community.

“A long time ago a friend advised me to always leave a job when you still love it,” Shalala wrote. “That is certainly the case here.”

According to a university press release, she plans to return to the faculty as a professor of political science and health policy.

Richard D. Fain, chief executive officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises, will chair the Presidential Search Committee that will appoint Shalala’s successor, according to Stuart A. Miller, chair of the University of Miami Board of Trustees.

“This will be an inclusive process and will seek valuable input from the greater University of Miami community,” Miller wrote in a statement sent to the university community.

Shalala, who previously served as Secretary of Health and Human Services under former President Bill Clinton, said that one of the best aspects of her job as UM president has been living in Miami.

“This great community is maddening, delightful and limitless in its vitality and promise,” she wrote. “We have worked hard to be good neighbors and civic leaders.”

Senior Hila Sachs noted the great strides made by the university under Shalala’s leadership and believes it will continue throughout the school year.

“I’m surprised and I’m really upset that she’s going to be leaving us,” said Sachs, a member of the President’s 100 organization. “She made the school what it is today and I feel bad for the freshmen that just came in because they wont have the same great experience that I did. I think she’ll still be extremely committed and I think she’s going to make this year the greatest yet.”

Screen Shot 2014-09-08 at 3.06.51 PM

Screen Shot 2014-09-08 at 3.06.38 PM

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...