V's Take

Dear V: Tailgates are not for the lightweight

What the hell are you all doing at tailgates?

I had the pleasure of spending time with all of you monsters during yesterday’s game and I have to tell you, I was astonishingly underwhelmed. You guys need to get your s#*! together. I saw more drunk girls stumbling, oxygen masks and seemingly regrettable hookups than I have in a long time.

Don’t think I’m ignorant, I know this happens every year (I was at the UF game last year), but I think it’s important that we, as millenials, take it upon ourselves to practice some basic intelligence during tailgate season.

I don’t mean to sound like dear old Grandma Pearl but what if those pictures end up on social media when you’re applying for jobs? What if you become friends with school administrators and they see them? Again, not to be a Debbie Downer but since we’re in a time when anything and everything is shared, published and posted, we should probably exercise some caution … Just putting that out there.

But beyond just basic social media presence, safety is 100 percent key. People, while the allure of being belligerent at a football tailgate is not lost on me, health is a priority. It’s all fun and games until someone gets a written arrest and gets sent to the hospital. And let’s be honest here, puking and dry-heaving on some fraternity guy’s shoes is never cute.

So if you thought being really drunk was going to get you laid, think again. Because this time all being really drunk got you was your crush walking away from you while shaking the contents of your stomach off his or her hands. Not fun for anyone. Ever.

Also, there’s the issue that most of you teenage drunkards were getting in trouble with the law. I mean does that not spark fear in any of your little heads? No one? Anyone?

Ultimately, it’s a risk versus reward thing. Will taking 15 shots of vodka hook you up with that cutie over there or will you end up on  a date with MDPD in a few hours? And, if and when you do vomit, will you be able to contain it or will your friends have to hold your hair and miss half the game?

A good amount of alcohol is always key when it comes to alleviating any kind of social inhibitions and I’m not telling you all to stop drinking – because I sure as hell won’t – but please, for mine and Pete’s sake, don’t wind up passed out in front of the stadium with paramedics shoving an oxygen mask in your face. Because then your parents will find out. And oh, the trouble you’ll be in then.

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...