Edge, Television

‘A Young Doctor’s Notebook’ proves humorous with dynamic duo

Photo courtesy of wikipedia.com

Photo courtesy of wikipedia.com

Harry Potter and Don Draper walk into a Russian hospital. That’s not the setup to a lame joke; it’s the premise for the highly entertaining British television series “A Young Doctor’s Notebook and Other Stories,” now in its second season.

Based on author Mikhail Bulgakov’s autobiographical short stories, the show details a fresh-faced, unnamed doctor and his gruesome yet hysterical hospital adventures in rural 1917 Russia. Simultaneously, his older self reflects on his past triumphs and letdowns.

The young doctor’s struggle adjusting to the new lifestyle, coupled with his developing morphine dependency, is riveting to not only the viewer but also the older doctor, who is able to physically interact and converse with his younger self.

Daniel Radcliffe and Jon Hamm play the Young and Older Doctor, respectively, and prove their comedic chops through the hysterical dialogue.

While season one showcased his distaste for his past substance abuse, season two began with a recovered Older Doctor, who can actively meddle in his younger life. His younger self, currently battling the addiction, is entranced by engaged aristocrat Natasha. She arrives with the White Guards in the midst of the Russian Civil War.

Concealing the missing morphine from the Zemstvo, the local government, is a minor task compared to winning Natasha’s affections.

Meanwhile, the Older Doctor is appalled by the Young Doctor’s rudeness to the hospital nurse Pelageya, who is gravely ill. Terminating their romantic relationship bluntly, the Young Doctor ignores Pelageya’s plight—until it seems too late.

Hamm, a producer for the series, easily slips into this period piece. He balances the drama of recovering addiction with the comedic timing we’ve come to associate with his SNL appearances. It’s cynical yet subtle, and it works. He is a gifted actor who can blend sympathy and disgust for any character he plays.

Radcliffe is the true star. This role is so far removed from his Harry Potter past: twisted, bitter, yet joyfully funny. His delivery is beautiful, and he’s not afraid to make a fool of himself—which he does, as he drunkenly wrestles Hamm for a gun, shoots himself in the foot by mistake, and exclaims “I’m going to have to amputate my own foot!”

This show is not for the faint of heart: it graphically depicts violent illnesses and medical surgeries. Nor is it an obvious choice for two big-name actors. But it’s a brave one that is successful. It’s darkly funny, bracingly witty and incredibly addicting.

The season finale of “A Young Doctor’s Notebook” airs Sept. 9 on Ovation. Season one is currently available on Netflix.

Sirisha Gaddipati

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...