Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team scores second win against Jacksonville

Junior Jasmine Paterson scores a goal during the first half of the soccer game against Stetson College on Friday. The ‘Canes won 3-0.Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

Junior Jasmine Paterson scores a goal during the first half of the soccer game against Stetson College on Friday. The ‘Canes won 3-0. Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricane soccer squad (2-4) has started building momentum after earning its second consecutive shutout Sept. 5 against Jacksonville.

Though falling in their first three outings, desirable victories against Jacksonville and Stetson gave Miami the boost they needed.

Despite losing 1-2 to Florida Atlantic (3-2-1) Sunday, the team still has some positive notes to build on, especially with sophomore Emily Auld notching her first career goal just before halftime.

Before the season started, Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe asked her players what they wanted to improve, and they stressed that the offense needed renovation.

Despite struggles in the first four outings, the goal for goals has finally begun gaining life – the Hurricanes have now scored five in their last three skirmishes.

This offensive resurgence began in the 27th minute Friday when junior Jasmine Paterson transformed freshman Ronnie Johnson’s through-pass into a 1-0 lead.

After that, Ontario-native Ronnie Johnson added some more fire as she blazed past three defenders and launched a score from outside the 18-yard box.

The coup de grace came in the 83rd minute when freshman Ava Ambrose earned her first career goal with a rifle from the sideline.

After adding four more saves to her arsenal this weekend, senior goalie Emily Lillard has now grabbed her first two wins this season, and will look to keep up her stellar play Friday in Portland.

Danny New

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...