Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team scores second win against Jacksonville

Junior Jasmine Paterson scores a goal during the first half of the soccer game against Stetson College on Friday. The ‘Canes won 3-0.Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

Junior Jasmine Paterson scores a goal during the first half of the soccer game against Stetson College on Friday. The ‘Canes won 3-0. Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricane soccer squad (2-4) has started building momentum after earning its second consecutive shutout Sept. 5 against Jacksonville.

Though falling in their first three outings, desirable victories against Jacksonville and Stetson gave Miami the boost they needed.

Despite losing 1-2 to Florida Atlantic (3-2-1) Sunday, the team still has some positive notes to build on, especially with sophomore Emily Auld notching her first career goal just before halftime.

Before the season started, Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe asked her players what they wanted to improve, and they stressed that the offense needed renovation.

Despite struggles in the first four outings, the goal for goals has finally begun gaining life – the Hurricanes have now scored five in their last three skirmishes.

This offensive resurgence began in the 27th minute Friday when junior Jasmine Paterson transformed freshman Ronnie Johnson’s through-pass into a 1-0 lead.

After that, Ontario-native Ronnie Johnson added some more fire as she blazed past three defenders and launched a score from outside the 18-yard box.

The coup de grace came in the 83rd minute when freshman Ava Ambrose earned her first career goal with a rifle from the sideline.

After adding four more saves to her arsenal this weekend, senior goalie Emily Lillard has now grabbed her first two wins this season, and will look to keep up her stellar play Friday in Portland.

Danny New

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...