Baseball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 9/8

Baseball

Walk-on tryouts for the baseball team will take place at 5 p.m. on Sept. 15 at Mark Light Field and are open to the student body.

A compliance meeting for anyone interested in trying out will take place at 3 p.m. on Sept. 10 in the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence on San Amaro Drive, adjacent to the tennis courts on campus.

Paperwork must be filled out ahead of time and can be picked up in the Compliance offices in the Schwartz Center at any time.

The Canes finished the 2014 season 44-19 overall and 24-6 in the ACC.

Lefthanded pitcher Andrew Suarez will return for the Canes in the the 2015 season as a redshirt junior. Suarez was drafted by the Washington Nationals with the 57th overall pick.  

Sugarcanes

Sugarcanes serve as bat girls and ball girls for Hurricanes Baseball during home games. They work on-field and in the dugout, help with promotions on the field and assist with other game-day responsibilities.

The group is now recruiting for the spring season. Information sessions are being held from 8 to 9 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 15 and Tuesday, Sept. 16 in the Schwartz Center Auditorium. It is located within the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence.

Attending an info session is mandatory to be able to sign up for an interview slot with Head Coach Jim Morris.

For more information, email president Suzanne Ghannam at s.ghannam@umiami.edu.

Cross country

The Hurricanes cross country team had three runners finish in the Top 10 in their races at the USF Invitational in Tampa.

AJ Ricketts placed fifth and Douglas Dourado placed seventh in the men’s 8K. Gabrielle Hesslau finished ninth in the women’s 5K. Miami’s men placed second with 50 points, while the women finished sixth with 168 points.

The Canes are preparing for the UF Mountain Dew Invitation on Sept. 20.

For more on cross country, read Lucy Hartwell’s recap at themiamihurricane.com/section/sports.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...