Baseball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 9/8

Baseball

Walk-on tryouts for the baseball team will take place at 5 p.m. on Sept. 15 at Mark Light Field and are open to the student body.

A compliance meeting for anyone interested in trying out will take place at 3 p.m. on Sept. 10 in the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence on San Amaro Drive, adjacent to the tennis courts on campus.

Paperwork must be filled out ahead of time and can be picked up in the Compliance offices in the Schwartz Center at any time.

The Canes finished the 2014 season 44-19 overall and 24-6 in the ACC.

Lefthanded pitcher Andrew Suarez will return for the Canes in the the 2015 season as a redshirt junior. Suarez was drafted by the Washington Nationals with the 57th overall pick.  

Sugarcanes

Sugarcanes serve as bat girls and ball girls for Hurricanes Baseball during home games. They work on-field and in the dugout, help with promotions on the field and assist with other game-day responsibilities.

The group is now recruiting for the spring season. Information sessions are being held from 8 to 9 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 15 and Tuesday, Sept. 16 in the Schwartz Center Auditorium. It is located within the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence.

Attending an info session is mandatory to be able to sign up for an interview slot with Head Coach Jim Morris.

For more information, email president Suzanne Ghannam at s.ghannam@umiami.edu.

Cross country

The Hurricanes cross country team had three runners finish in the Top 10 in their races at the USF Invitational in Tampa.

AJ Ricketts placed fifth and Douglas Dourado placed seventh in the men’s 8K. Gabrielle Hesslau finished ninth in the women’s 5K. Miami’s men placed second with 50 points, while the women finished sixth with 168 points.

The Canes are preparing for the UF Mountain Dew Invitation on Sept. 20.

For more on cross country, read Lucy Hartwell’s recap at themiamihurricane.com/section/sports.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...