Baseball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 9/8

Baseball

Walk-on tryouts for the baseball team will take place at 5 p.m. on Sept. 15 at Mark Light Field and are open to the student body.

A compliance meeting for anyone interested in trying out will take place at 3 p.m. on Sept. 10 in the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence on San Amaro Drive, adjacent to the tennis courts on campus.

Paperwork must be filled out ahead of time and can be picked up in the Compliance offices in the Schwartz Center at any time.

The Canes finished the 2014 season 44-19 overall and 24-6 in the ACC.

Lefthanded pitcher Andrew Suarez will return for the Canes in the the 2015 season as a redshirt junior. Suarez was drafted by the Washington Nationals with the 57th overall pick.  

Sugarcanes

Sugarcanes serve as bat girls and ball girls for Hurricanes Baseball during home games. They work on-field and in the dugout, help with promotions on the field and assist with other game-day responsibilities.

The group is now recruiting for the spring season. Information sessions are being held from 8 to 9 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 15 and Tuesday, Sept. 16 in the Schwartz Center Auditorium. It is located within the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence.

Attending an info session is mandatory to be able to sign up for an interview slot with Head Coach Jim Morris.

For more information, email president Suzanne Ghannam at s.ghannam@umiami.edu.

Cross country

The Hurricanes cross country team had three runners finish in the Top 10 in their races at the USF Invitational in Tampa.

AJ Ricketts placed fifth and Douglas Dourado placed seventh in the men’s 8K. Gabrielle Hesslau finished ninth in the women’s 5K. Miami’s men placed second with 50 points, while the women finished sixth with 168 points.

The Canes are preparing for the UF Mountain Dew Invitation on Sept. 20.

For more on cross country, read Lucy Hartwell’s recap at themiamihurricane.com/section/sports.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...