Featured, Football, Sports

Canes football renews Golden Panthers rivalry

Miami Hurricanes football agreed Friday to a renewal of the Florida International University rivalry, with games slated for 2018 and 2019.

The first game will be a home game for Miami played at Sun Life Stadium on Sept. 22, 2018. The second meeting will be held in November 2019. The venue has not been determined.

The FIU Golden Panthers have not played the Miami Hurricanes since 2007. Miami is 2-0 against FIU.

Their history includes a famous brawl between the Canes and Panthers that cleared the benches in 2006, which put the rivalry on the South Florida map.

During the game, 13 players were enacted and later 31 players from both schools were suspended for fighting.

The two teams may no longer compete on the field (although that will change come 2018), but they do compete for recruits.

The Golden Panthers lost their first game this season to Bethune-Cookman 14-12.

Courtney Fiorini

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...