Featured, Football, Sports

Canes football renews Golden Panthers rivalry

Miami Hurricanes football agreed Friday to a renewal of the Florida International University rivalry, with games slated for 2018 and 2019.

The first game will be a home game for Miami played at Sun Life Stadium on Sept. 22, 2018. The second meeting will be held in November 2019. The venue has not been determined.

The FIU Golden Panthers have not played the Miami Hurricanes since 2007. Miami is 2-0 against FIU.

Their history includes a famous brawl between the Canes and Panthers that cleared the benches in 2006, which put the rivalry on the South Florida map.

During the game, 13 players were enacted and later 31 players from both schools were suspended for fighting.

The two teams may no longer compete on the field (although that will change come 2018), but they do compete for recruits.

The Golden Panthers lost their first game this season to Bethune-Cookman 14-12.

Courtney Fiorini

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...