Featured, Football, Sports

Canes football renews Golden Panthers rivalry

Miami Hurricanes football agreed Friday to a renewal of the Florida International University rivalry, with games slated for 2018 and 2019.

The first game will be a home game for Miami played at Sun Life Stadium on Sept. 22, 2018. The second meeting will be held in November 2019. The venue has not been determined.

The FIU Golden Panthers have not played the Miami Hurricanes since 2007. Miami is 2-0 against FIU.

Their history includes a famous brawl between the Canes and Panthers that cleared the benches in 2006, which put the rivalry on the South Florida map.

During the game, 13 players were enacted and later 31 players from both schools were suspended for fighting.

The two teams may no longer compete on the field (although that will change come 2018), but they do compete for recruits.

The Golden Panthers lost their first game this season to Bethune-Cookman 14-12.

Courtney Fiorini

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...