Edge, Movies, Reviews

Film Review: Boyhood

The new coming of age film Boyhood, directed by Richard Linklater, goes to unprecedented lengths to achieve authenticity and has been very well received by movie-goers and critics alike. The film has stellar ratings on movie review sites, including an incredible 99 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a Metascore of 100 on Metacritic.com

Director Richard Linklater is no stranger to film-lovers. His hit movies School of Rock, Dazed and Confused, Slacker, and his “Before” Trilogy have earned him two Oscar nominations and multiple critic and film festival awards. But what makes Linklater’s newest project Boyhood truly different from other films, is his decision to use the same cast over a span of 12 years. This allows the viewers the unique opportunity to watch the actors, and the characters they play, age right before their eyes.

Starring Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, Ellar Coltrane and Linklater’s daughter Lorelei Linklater, the film follows the life of a boy named Mason from age 6 to 18.

Boyhood is delightfully nostalgic with its soundtrack of 2000’s hits and throwbacks to childhood trends.  More than that, the movie masterfully conveys the intimacy, embarrassment, pain and beauty of growing up, making it a one of a kind cinematic experience.

Some may say that Boyhood is guilty of some melodramatic lines, and I wouldn’t completely disagree. However, I would argue that the mix of cheesy and understated moments makes the movie true and balanced. Life is sometimes full of clichés and sappy dialogue and Linklater isn’t afraid to display it in all its realness.

Boyhood is important because it encourages reflection. It’s an outlet to look back on the lessons learned, and the obstacles overcome and evaluate how they’ve shaped you as a person.

The film is profound, not because it provides answers but because it raises questions and highlights realties about life. Time goes on, people grow up, and most of the time our lives are less then perfect and yet uniquely beautiful- just like the film itself.

Boyhood will be screening at the AMC Sunset Place 24 through Sept. 4.

Jamie Herman

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...