Edge, Movies, Reviews

Film Review: Boyhood

The new coming of age film Boyhood, directed by Richard Linklater, goes to unprecedented lengths to achieve authenticity and has been very well received by movie-goers and critics alike. The film has stellar ratings on movie review sites, including an incredible 99 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a Metascore of 100 on Metacritic.com

Director Richard Linklater is no stranger to film-lovers. His hit movies School of Rock, Dazed and Confused, Slacker, and his “Before” Trilogy have earned him two Oscar nominations and multiple critic and film festival awards. But what makes Linklater’s newest project Boyhood truly different from other films, is his decision to use the same cast over a span of 12 years. This allows the viewers the unique opportunity to watch the actors, and the characters they play, age right before their eyes.

Starring Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, Ellar Coltrane and Linklater’s daughter Lorelei Linklater, the film follows the life of a boy named Mason from age 6 to 18.

Boyhood is delightfully nostalgic with its soundtrack of 2000’s hits and throwbacks to childhood trends.  More than that, the movie masterfully conveys the intimacy, embarrassment, pain and beauty of growing up, making it a one of a kind cinematic experience.

Some may say that Boyhood is guilty of some melodramatic lines, and I wouldn’t completely disagree. However, I would argue that the mix of cheesy and understated moments makes the movie true and balanced. Life is sometimes full of clichés and sappy dialogue and Linklater isn’t afraid to display it in all its realness.

Boyhood is important because it encourages reflection. It’s an outlet to look back on the lessons learned, and the obstacles overcome and evaluate how they’ve shaped you as a person.

The film is profound, not because it provides answers but because it raises questions and highlights realties about life. Time goes on, people grow up, and most of the time our lives are less then perfect and yet uniquely beautiful- just like the film itself.

Boyhood will be screening at the AMC Sunset Place 24 through Sept. 4.

Jamie Herman

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...