News Briefs 9/3

Students celibrate a touchdown during the Rat watch party for the Hurricanes' season opener against Louisville on Saturday. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Students celibrate a touchdown during the Rat watch party for the Hurricanes’ season opener against Louisville on Saturday. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

United Way’s UPS 5K Run

The 2014 United Way campaign has launched with the goal to raise more than $1 million for the United Way of Miami-Dade and to engage participation from the University of Miami community that has been involved for over forty years. One of the first campus events planned if the UPS 5K Run being held at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday at the Coral Gables City Hall. Registration is $30. For more information, email unitedway@miami.edu.

LoweDown Happy Hour

Join the Lowe Art Museum from 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday for the LoweDown Happy Hour, which will feature treats, Nestle coffee and a social crowd of students, faculty and the community. Thursday’s gallery tour theme will be “China’s Last Empire: The Art and Culture of the Qing Dynasty.”

Master of Fine Arts Exhibition

The Department of Art and Art History in the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) will be celebrating the opening of an exhibition featuring the work of incoming Master of Fine Arts (MFA) graduate students with a reception from 5 to 8 p.m. on Friday in the CAS Gallery. The reception will welcome the artists, specializing in sculpture, printmaking and painting. The event is free and open to the public.

CASE Educational Fundraising Award

The Council for Advancement and Support of Education has honored the University of Miami with a 2014 CASE Educational Fundraising Award in recognition of its fundraising programs. The selection was part of an Overall Performance Award in the private research institution category, and took into consideration UM’s program and growth of the base of support. UM’s Momentum2 Campaign which was started in 2008, has raised $1.3 billion from more than 140,000 contributors.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...