Campus Life, Featured, News

Maps on campus display scientific advancements

Graham, Joseph, William Newman, and John Stacy. 2008. Geologic Time Spiral: A Path to the Past.

A collection of 100 maps are now scattered around campus after circling the globe.

“Places and Spaces: Mapping Science” opens Thursday at the University of Miami with a reception at 6 p.m. in the Stanley and Jewell Glasgow Hall, located in the School of Architecture.

The exhibit, which features scientific maps illustrating human and scientific advancements around the world, will be at UM until Dec. 11. Pieces from the exhibit will be displayed at the Jorge M. Perez Architecture Center and in the first and second floors of the Richter Library.

The exhibit was started in 2005 and originally featured just 10 maps. Since then, 10 pieces have been added each year as the exhibit has traveled to various locations, such as Washington D.C. and Belgium. Themes for previous exhibits ranged from The Power of Forecasts to Science Maps for Kids.

The graphics not only illustrate a wide range of topics, they also cover a large time span, according to Alberto Cairo, assistant professor of the professional practice at the School of Communication (SoC) and director of the Visualization Program at the Center for Computational Science. 

“The exhibit doesn’t just include modern examples, but also classic examples and older examples…from the 19th century and older,” said Cairo, who is on the organizing committee for the exhibit.

UM is the first venue to display the most recent 10 maps, marking the exhibit’s completion. These new additions explore the future of scientific mapping.

Scientific mapping includes artwork that is not just visually appealing, but also “highly informative, illuminating, and insightful,” Cairo said. These maps can include anything from diagrams and network illustrations to graphs and pie charts.

The UM installment of the Places and Spaces exhibit is curated by Katy Borner, a professor of information science at Indiana University and a Ted Talk speaker. Borner is one of the people who helped conceptualize and found the exhibit in 2005, and has been the curator for many of these events.

Borner, who will speak at Thursday’s event, is the first of many scientific mapping designers and researchers who will come to UM this fall as part of a lecture series.

Places and Spaces was brought to the UM campus by the Center for Computational Science, the College of Arts and Sciences, and SoC.

“The study of data visualization crosses disciplines and has applications in a variety of academic areas,” said Thomas J. LeBlanc, UM Executive Vice President and Provost in a press release.

All of the events the exhibit is hosting will be free to UM students and open to the general public.

IF YOU GO:

Where: Stanley and Jewell Glasgow Hall

When: 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 4

For a full list of events, visit: www.miami.edu/index.php/news/releases/places_spaces_will_change_how_people_see_the_world/

Emma Deardoff

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...