Football, Sports

Canes season sours with Louisville loss

The Hurricanes started the 2014 season the same way they ended last season, with a loss to Louisville.

In a battle reminiscent of last years’ Russell Athletic Bowl, the Louisville Cardinals defeated the Canes 31-13 Monday night at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium in Louisville, Kentucky. For Louisville, the game was its first conference win as a new member of the ACC.

Freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya completed 17 of 29 passes for 174 yards for one touchdown and two interceptions. Running back Duke Johnson made his return from injury averaging 4.5 yards. Johnson had 20 attempts for 90 yards and no touchdowns.

For Louisville, redshirt sophomore quarterback Will Gardner went 20 of 28 for 206 yards and two touchdowns. Louisville’s top rusher for the game, Dominique Brown, had one touchdown and 143 yards.

In the first quarter, Louisville scored on their second drive with an impressive 12-plays for 93 yards. Miami fired back with a six-play drive for 38 yards. Kaaya completed a two-yard touchdown pass to Clive Walford, tying up the score at seven with 14:21 to go in the first half.

The Canes took the lead when Matt Goudis made a 24-yard field goal. Fourteen seconds later, Louisville took the lead and never gave it back. The Cardinals’ Corvin Lamb returned Justin Vogel’s punt 97 yards for a touchdown. The Cardinals lead the Canes 14-10 at halftime.

Louisville dominated the second half while the Canes defense suffered. The Hurricanes gave up two touchdowns and a field goal to finish the game. Canes linebacker Denzel Perryman showed promise for the defense, delivering crushing hits. Perryman and Johnson are players to watch moving forward.

Miami will be looking for their first win of the season against Florida A&M at 7 p.m. on Sept. 6 at home.

Courtney Fiorini

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...