News Briefs 8/27

A member of Coral Gables United Church of Chirst walks with members of his congregation down Ocean Drive in South Beach during the 5th annual Pride Parade held in April 2012. File Photo

ORIENTATION OUTREACH

The Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development will be hosting Orientation Outreach from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday at the Rock. Students are invited to participate in community service throughout Miami. Volunteering will take place at various non-profit organizations throughout the area. It is recommended to wear comfortable clothes, close-toed shoes, a pair of pants and a long-sleeve shirt. Breakfast, lunch and a volunteer T-shirt will be provided. For more information, call 305-284-4483.

CITY BEAUTIFUL AWARDS

The Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce awarded two of its annual City Beautiful Awards, which recognize the beauty and charm of architectural achievement, to the University of Miami. The Student Activities Center (SAC) was honored with the Outstanding Exterior Award, and the Toppel Career Center was chosen to receive the Outstanding Restoration Award.

UPRIDE COMPROMISES ON NAME

After changing its name and hosting a meeting on Sunday to discuss the change, UPride announced two initiatives developed to reincorporate the name SpectrUM into the group. The suggestions include combining UPride and SpectrUM with a tagline, such as “UPride: Embracing the Spectrum” or to rename the “Support Group” to “SpectrUM.” These compromises aim to stay committed to the core aspects of the organization while still evolving.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com. 

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...