News Briefs 8/27

A member of Coral Gables United Church of Chirst walks with members of his congregation down Ocean Drive in South Beach during the 5th annual Pride Parade held in April 2012. File Photo

ORIENTATION OUTREACH

The Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development will be hosting Orientation Outreach from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday at the Rock. Students are invited to participate in community service throughout Miami. Volunteering will take place at various non-profit organizations throughout the area. It is recommended to wear comfortable clothes, close-toed shoes, a pair of pants and a long-sleeve shirt. Breakfast, lunch and a volunteer T-shirt will be provided. For more information, call 305-284-4483.

CITY BEAUTIFUL AWARDS

The Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce awarded two of its annual City Beautiful Awards, which recognize the beauty and charm of architectural achievement, to the University of Miami. The Student Activities Center (SAC) was honored with the Outstanding Exterior Award, and the Toppel Career Center was chosen to receive the Outstanding Restoration Award.

UPRIDE COMPROMISES ON NAME

After changing its name and hosting a meeting on Sunday to discuss the change, UPride announced two initiatives developed to reincorporate the name SpectrUM into the group. The suggestions include combining UPride and SpectrUM with a tagline, such as “UPride: Embracing the Spectrum” or to rename the “Support Group” to “SpectrUM.” These compromises aim to stay committed to the core aspects of the organization while still evolving.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com. 

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...