Ice bucket challenge chills charitability

There is a time in every person’s life when the only natural and acceptable response to the words “I dare you to eat this lump of dirt,” is to eat it. Then, presumably, we learn to say, “no thank you, I have no reason to be eating dirt.”

Or, as the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has revealed, maybe we don’t.

This challenge has recently acquired perplexing popularity. Once challenged, a person chooses either to donate $100 to the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association (ALSA), or to douse themselves with a bucket of frigid water and donate $10. 

With thousands of people, including Oprah Winfrey, participating in countries all over the world, the ALSA has raised $94.3 million since July 29, compared to the $1.9 million raised in the same time period last year.

It isn’t awareness that’s garnered all these donations, but massive peer pressure. 

Here, the ice bucket acts as the proverbial clod of dirt a person must consume in order to participate. 

For some, the challenge has been performed to save face on social media platforms. It is difficult for people not to donate altogether and risk looking like a social slacker. 

Dumping ice water on someone’s head has become a punishment of sorts. Those who cannot donate the full amount may feel guilty and thus forced to perform this task. Potential loss of social standing may dictate a person’s decision, not a personal investment in the cause.

One would think that the prospect of ridding the world of one more disease and saving thousands of lives would be sufficient motivation to give to charity, but sometimes it’s not enough.

It’s true that many people endure the frigid dousing and donate a substantial amount, but why is the ice bucket necessary? 

Clearly, there is a third option: save the water and donate whatever you can.

Though it doesn’t matter what spurs people to donate as long as they do – and certainly no one begrudges the ALSA all the funds they’ve raised – this challenge  highlights the interesting dynamic between charitable action and the growing influence of social media.

So, the next time someone dares you to eat a lump of dirt, return it to the Earth and plant a seed instead. Maybe you can even pour a bucket of water on it to help it grow.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...