Edge, Featured, Food

Here’s the Scoop

Design by Emma Deardorff

Design by Emma Deardorff

As any UM student knows, Miami is scorching in the summertime. Even though an iced tea or coffee can help, sometimes the only thing that hits the spot is a big scoop of refreshing ice cream. Here are Edge’s top picks for the best chilled desserts around town.

Azucar Ice Cream Company

For a uniquely Miami-style delectable dessert, head to the heart of Little Havana for a scoop of Caramel Flan, Noche Buena or even Coca-Cola ice cream. You can’t miss the store’s giant ice cream cone awning as you drive down Calle Ocho, and the fresh flavors inside will keep you coming back for seconds. Rumor has it, that they even buy their fruit from the fruit stands down the block. From Abuela Maria’s original recipes, the ice creams and sorbets are not to be missed.

Azucar Ice Cream Company is located at 1503 SW 8th St, Miami, Fl, 33155.

Chill-N Nitrogen Ice Cream

For an ice cream treat that takes DIY to the next level, a stop here is absolutely necessary. Two friends decided they could one-up the typical ice cream process and perfected instant ice cream – that’s right, you can come up with your own wonderful flavor combination on the spot (there’s more than 100 combinations to choose from) and then they add the nitrogen. Due to a chemical reaction, nitrogen freezes the ice crystals in the cream faster and smaller than the typical freezing process and produces a smoother result. It’s worth the trip to Pinecrest.

Chill-N Nitrogen Ice Cream is located at 8271 SW 124th St, Miami, FL, 33156.

Swensen’s Grill & Ice Cream Parlor

If you are in need of a hot fudge sundae and don’t know where to go, a trip to nearby Swensen’s hits the spot. Those with a sweet tooth already flock to one of the oldest restaurant in Coral Gables. Though it might look like the perfect place your grandma would take you, and it’s been done before, the ice cream flavors and yummy hot fudge keep the customers coming, regardless of age. Milkshakes and cones are also available to go.

Swenson’s Grill & Ice Cream Parlor is located at 1586 S Dixie Highway, Coral Gables, FL, 33146.

Wall’s Old Fashioned Ice Cream

If you’re seeking homemade ice cream, look no further than this family-owned ice cream parlor. Wall’s churns out more than 25 flavors from classics like Pistachio and Rocky Road to seasonal favorites like Eggnog and Pumpkin. For an extra treat, try Tom’s Homemade Fudge – a rich addition to your frozen favorite. If you’re looking for old-fashioned flair, savor the nostalgic diner decor at Wall’s.

Wall’s Old Fashioned Ice Cream is located at 8075 SW 67th Ave., Miami, FL, 33143.

Whip ‘n Dip Ice Cream Shoppe

For those in need of a study break with a cool treat or just looking for classic homemade ice cream, Whip ‘n Dip is the place to be. Since 1985, they have churned out scoops to UM students and Miami residents alike, who have made long lines the norm. You can get not only your ice cream, but also soft serve, lite ice cream and even ice cream sandwich fix seven days a week. Don’t forget you get 10 percent off with a Cane Card.

Whip ‘n Dip Ice Cream Shoppe is located at 1407 Sunset Dr, Miami, Fl, 33143.

If fro-yo’s more your style, don’t fret we still have you covered. Here’s what we think is tastiest in the area:

Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt

Their tagline might be at the epicenter of cute, but Menchie’s rings true “in the pursuit of yumminess,” by serving some of the best frozen yogurt around.

Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt is located at 5744 Sunset Dr, South Miami, FL 33143. 

Yogurtland

Visit one of the numerous locations around Miami for a cool pick-me-up when the weather gets hot and ice cream won’t do.

Yogurtland is located at 9455  S Dixie Highway, Miami, FL 33156.

Pinkberry

While it might be best known as a celebrity hangout, Pinkberry does not disappoint when it comes to frozen yogurt and healthy, but still delicious, toppings.

Pinkberry is located at 3401 N. Miami Avenue, NE 36th, Miami FL 33127.

Marchesa Bergman

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...