V's Take

Dear V: Sex and the UMiami

Hello again,

As I sit in my sex psychology class, I can’t help but think of the types of sexual interactions that I’ve come to love – and often times hate – during my time as a college student.

From freshmen to seniors, people explore their sexuality in different ways. There’s the over-eager fraternity pledge, the questionable oversensitive guy and the one that’s too available.

But, ladies, with all of these options and choices, which one is the right one?

With 10,000 students at the University of Miami, there’s bound to be that person who intrigues you. 

Our thirsty Thursday beer goggles sometimes get in the way of finding true love. And I’m not saying that the guy you’re grinding up on at Sandbar is your future first husband, but, take it for what it is and don’t let that become a missed opportunity.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a time and place for everything. To quote one of my favorite ‘50s musicals, “a girl must compare men for wear and for tear before she buys.” And for those millennials out there: Every guy is like a wrecking ball – don’t let them break you.

As you find new ways to study this semester, maybe consider going outside your comfort zone in different ways. 

Don’t just stick to the same kind of person you’ve always been with – expand your horizons and maybe take that really nice guy up on his offer – he might just be your college sweetheart.

College is a time to have new experiences. But new doesn’t have to mean dangerous. 

You can create something just as exciting as Danny Zuko and Sandy Olsson’s summertime affair without the impending threat of chlamydia to cloud your experience.

Be safe, be smart and don’t just throw around the “L” word. Keep it fresh, keep it light and keep it fun.

You may just be the next Sebastian and Gertrude.

And for the freshmen out there: Sebastian the Ibis has a girlfriend and her name is Gertrude. You’re welcome.

Keep an open mind and make the most of the time you have in the college dating scene. It goes by just as fast as your Orientation-week hookup. 

We’ve all been there.

Though if you’re into the suits-and-executive type, the real fun begins post graduation.

Advice Columnist

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...