Day trips abound for Labor Day

Long weekends call for shared times with family and friends, relaxation and a chance to escape for a few days and travel. Whether it’s an adventurous trip that you’re seeking or an attraction not requiring you to wander too far from campus, here’s a guide to help you plan your three days of fun.

The Florida Keys

Whether you’re looking for fun a place to enjoy water sports, wildlife or a barbecue on the beach, the Keys can host your weekend getaway. With the nearest key only a few hours away from campus, you can grab some friends and some food and enjoy a cookout in the summertime this Labor Day weekend.

John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is located at 102601 Overseas Highway in Key Largo. 

Naples

While Italy might be too far for a weekend getaway, Naples in Florida offers plenty to do with its fine dining and shopping, as well as its beaches. If you’re looking for fun excursions, you can visit the zoo, sanctuary or botanical gardens. For shopping, visit Fifth Avenue or the Waterside Shops for unique stores filled with tropical souvenirs, boutique clothing and entertainment.

The Waterside Shops are located at 5415 N. Tamiami Trail in Naples. 

Orlando

If theme parks is what you want, it’s what you’ll get in Orlando. Whether you’re looking for thrilling rides, sea animal encounters or a magical day spent with Mickey Mouse, you’re bound to find it in Orlando. Disney World, Downtown Disney, Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios, Sea World and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter are calling your name – the possibilities are endless.

Downtown Disney is located at 1780 E. Buena Vista Drive in Lake Buena Vista. 

Actors’ Playhouse

Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre will be kicking off  its 2014-2015 Free Film Series with screenings of “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial” on Labor Day weekend. The event, taking place a short ride from campus in Miracle Mile, is a free option for those looking to stay close to campus. Steven Spielberg’s film which takes us back to our childhood will be screening at 8 p.m. on Saturday and 3 p.m. on Sunday.

Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre is located at 280 Miracle Mile in Coral Gables.

Duck Tours

While you may think you’re familiar with Miami, it’s surprising what you can learn about the city you’re living and learning in by taking a tour of it. Miami Duck Tours is offering a Labor Day special for tours purchased Friday through Sunday. Visit Miami’s iconic landmarks by land before being transferred to tour by sea. The excursion departs from Lincoln Road on South Beach, taking you from historical neighborhoods like Little Havana to popular sites close to home like the Biltmore Hotel.

The Duck Tours South Beach departure is located at 1661 James Ave. in Miami Beach.

Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM)

A modern and contemporary landmark designed to exhibit international art of the 20th and 21st centuries, the Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) will be offering free exhibition tours on Labor Day at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Museum guides will lead the tours, which last about 45 minutes. Anyone who takes the Metromover to PAMM will receive free museum admission. Staff members will be at the Museum Park Station with museum passes valid for Labor Day only.

PAMM is located at 1103 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

Emily Dabau

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...