Day trips abound for Labor Day

Long weekends call for shared times with family and friends, relaxation and a chance to escape for a few days and travel. Whether it’s an adventurous trip that you’re seeking or an attraction not requiring you to wander too far from campus, here’s a guide to help you plan your three days of fun.

The Florida Keys

Whether you’re looking for fun a place to enjoy water sports, wildlife or a barbecue on the beach, the Keys can host your weekend getaway. With the nearest key only a few hours away from campus, you can grab some friends and some food and enjoy a cookout in the summertime this Labor Day weekend.

John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is located at 102601 Overseas Highway in Key Largo. 

Naples

While Italy might be too far for a weekend getaway, Naples in Florida offers plenty to do with its fine dining and shopping, as well as its beaches. If you’re looking for fun excursions, you can visit the zoo, sanctuary or botanical gardens. For shopping, visit Fifth Avenue or the Waterside Shops for unique stores filled with tropical souvenirs, boutique clothing and entertainment.

The Waterside Shops are located at 5415 N. Tamiami Trail in Naples. 

Orlando

If theme parks is what you want, it’s what you’ll get in Orlando. Whether you’re looking for thrilling rides, sea animal encounters or a magical day spent with Mickey Mouse, you’re bound to find it in Orlando. Disney World, Downtown Disney, Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios, Sea World and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter are calling your name – the possibilities are endless.

Downtown Disney is located at 1780 E. Buena Vista Drive in Lake Buena Vista. 

Actors’ Playhouse

Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre will be kicking off  its 2014-2015 Free Film Series with screenings of “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial” on Labor Day weekend. The event, taking place a short ride from campus in Miracle Mile, is a free option for those looking to stay close to campus. Steven Spielberg’s film which takes us back to our childhood will be screening at 8 p.m. on Saturday and 3 p.m. on Sunday.

Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre is located at 280 Miracle Mile in Coral Gables.

Duck Tours

While you may think you’re familiar with Miami, it’s surprising what you can learn about the city you’re living and learning in by taking a tour of it. Miami Duck Tours is offering a Labor Day special for tours purchased Friday through Sunday. Visit Miami’s iconic landmarks by land before being transferred to tour by sea. The excursion departs from Lincoln Road on South Beach, taking you from historical neighborhoods like Little Havana to popular sites close to home like the Biltmore Hotel.

The Duck Tours South Beach departure is located at 1661 James Ave. in Miami Beach.

Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM)

A modern and contemporary landmark designed to exhibit international art of the 20th and 21st centuries, the Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) will be offering free exhibition tours on Labor Day at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Museum guides will lead the tours, which last about 45 minutes. Anyone who takes the Metromover to PAMM will receive free museum admission. Staff members will be at the Museum Park Station with museum passes valid for Labor Day only.

PAMM is located at 1103 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

Emily Dabau

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...