Winkelsas wins support

Senior Audrey Winkelsas, whose 24-hour attendant care was cut off when she turned 21 in October, has had this Medicaid benefit restored.

Winkelsas has spinal muscular atrophy, a form of muscular dystrophy, and needs around-the-clock care to attend school. During spring 2014, she created a change.org petition that garnered about 7,570 signatures to help raise awareness.

SEE ALSO: Junior combats clause that limits access to care

She announced on the site Sunday that her care was reinstated.

“Last week, I received the news that I will be receiving 24/7 care for the 2014-2015 academic year that will enable me to complete my undergraduate degree,” she posted on the change.org site.

According to Florida’s Medicaid provider handbook, necessary services like 24-hour care are suspended after a person turns 21. Last spring, Winkelsas’s mother, Keely Winkelsas, stayed in Miami to ensure that her daughter could finish her studies.

SEE ALSO: Online petition fosters support

During her first two years at UM, four different attendants, who worked 12-hour shifts at a time on different days of the week, looked after Winkelsas as she completed her studies.

Winkelsas is studying biochemistry in the hopes of finding a cure for spinal muscular atrophy, the condition she was diagnosed with when she was seven months old.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...