Orientation disorients incoming students

New students emerge from Orientation week well-versed in several school chants and endowed with intimate knowledge of the route to the BankUnited Center. But ask one of these supposedly oriented students how to find the registrar’s office, and you’ll probably wish you had consulted some tea leaves instead.

While numerous spirited events, such as Cane Kickoff, foster a sense of community that helps many new students cope with the emotional challenges of living away from home, many end up likening Orientation to a summer camp, a week of fun and excitement with little bearing on their future lives at UM. 

Orientation, with its focus on introducing students to Hurricane culture, fails to prepare students for the monumental tasks of navigating the academic system and university life as a whole.

When students are not throwing up the U or receiving armfuls of free T-shirts, they are shunted back and forth in huge groups from info session to info session, where they are flooded with information they never hear again. 

When Orientation ends, so does any active engagement with new students on the part of faculty and staff. For a week, students are babied, led almost by the hand to every activity, but after August 25, they are expected to extract, all by themselves, the information they need from the university’s murky processes to go abroad, get a transcript or rearrange class schedules.

Even throughout Orientation, students gain little experience in how the university actually works. By the time classes begin, new students have met with their advisers for approximately 10 minutes and have traveled to the main campus only a handful of times. UMX, an online course designed for first year and transfer students, aims to supplement these experiences with information on subjects such as leadership and study abroad opportunities. Yet it is a poor substitute for personal, face-to-face connections with university faculty and staff.

Orientation may help incorporate new students into the large and vibrant community of UM, but it does so at the expense of their individual needs. Orientation should make clear to students what resources are available to refine their individual experiences at the university, and not emphasize so much their roles as minor organisms in a huge ecosystem.

It remains unclear what the frantic and fast-paced week actually orients students toward; it seems, instead, to spin them around in circles, make them dizzy and release them into a maze.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...