News briefs 8/25

Club Sports Expo

All 46 active clubs will be showcased at the Herbert Wellness Center and Intramural Fields from 6 to 8 p.m. on Monday. Students are welcome to walk around the building and outside to learn more about participating club sports and learn how to join or get more involved.

We Bleed Orange & Green

University of Miami’s Department of Athletics is hosting an open house from 6 to 7 p.m. on Friday at the Knight Sports Complex. The event will give new students an up-close look at UM athletics as well as a chance to interact with current UM student-athletes. There will be pizza and prizes followed by the soccer game at 7 p.m.

Canes After Dark

Canes Night Live  will be taking over the Student Activities Center from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. on Friday with Canes After Dark. The event will feature a luau theme to kick off the new year. There will be sand art, lei making, Pollo Tropical, smoothies, headband weaving, hui aloha dance performances and a photo booth.

Orientation Outreach

The Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development will be hosting Orientation Outreach from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday. Students are invited to participate in community service throughout the city of Miami. Volunteering will take place at various non-profit organizations throughout the area. It is recommended to wear comfortable clothes and close-toed shoes; bring a pair of pants and long-sleeve shirt as well. Breakfast, lunch and a volunteer T-shirt will be provided. Volunteers will meet at the Rock. For more information, call 305-284-4483.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com. 

Emily Dabau

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...