Commentary, Football, Sports

Freshman quarterback takes charge for upcoming season

Brad Kaaya | Courtesy Hurricane Sports

Brad Kaaya | Courtesy Hurricane Sports

Everything seems to work in the great circle of life – or in this case – football.

Head Coach Al Golden announced Sunday freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya will start in the season opener against Louisville on Sept. 1.

The true freshman drew everyone’s attention in Southern California in his two seasons as a starter at Chaminade-Madonna College Prep. Kaaya threw for 5,730 yards and 40 touchdowns. His senior year, he set a Chaminade record with 3,855 yards and 27 touchdowns. However, the journey he took to step in the shoes of Kelly, Testaverde, Toretta and Dorsey took much determination, and a little bit of fate.

After the 2013 season ended and Stephen Morris declared for the draft, it seemed fifth-year senior Ryan Williams, after serving in the shadow of Jacory Harris and Morris for so long, would finally get the chance to wield the torch. That chance was derailed with an ACL tear during spring practice, although Williams hopes to be back by the time the Canes play Nebraska on Sept. 22.

Next, redshirt-freshman Kevin Olsen, younger brother of NFL wide-receiver Greg Olsen, was ready to take the offensive reins until Olsen failed a drug test this summer. With these two out for the first game, the starting job was pursued by the senior transfer from Kansas, Jake Heaps, and Kaaya.

Nearly eight months ago, the 2013 season ended flat for the Hurricanes in Orlando, losing to the Louisville Cardinals in the Russell Athletic Bowl 36-9.

This was not the way it was supposed to end. The Canes stunned the college football world, or at least within a 50 mile radius in central Florida, when they upset the 12th-ranked Florida Gators at home.

By early November, the 7-0, seventh-ranked Canes prepared to fly up to Tallahassee to take on the third-ranked undefeated Florida State Seminoles. The Canes surprised many by making a game of it by halftime, only trailing by a touchdown. The second half was an entirely different story; the Noles shutout the Canes 20-0, and sophomore stud RB Duke Johnson’s season came to a sudden end when he broke his ankle in the 4th quarter.

Back-to-back losses followed. The first, a rainy homecoming game against Virginia Tech, then a loss to upstart Duke in Durham. Even two wins against Virginia and Pittsburgh to close the season couldn’t launch the Canes into the ACC Championship Game.

So now the Canes are back, against who else but Louisville on Labor Day night. The Canes have a difficult task ahead, as the Cardinals have held one of the best home-field advantages in recent years, losing only two home games in the past two seasons.

One of the most exciting players to return for his senior season is LB Denzel Perryman. Last year, the man they call The President and the team’s defensive MVP was a semi-finalist for the Butkus Award, a prize recognizing the best collegiate linebacker. Perryman wearing #52 at linebacker doesn’t hurt, either, drawing comparisons to former Hurricanes great, NFL Pro-Bowler and two-time Superbowl champion Ray Lewis.

This season is also a chance for RB Duke Johnson to return to prime form. Before his season-ending ankle injury, Johnson ran for 920 yards and six touchdowns in eight games.

So buckle up, Canes fans! The 2014 season is right around the corner, brimming with possibility. Everyone, including Miami, Florida State and Bethune-Cookman starts out with a fresh record.

Who knows what the season will bring?

Neil Dwyer

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...