Help the homeless by listening

Self-achievement and satisfaction reign high in our society. Our college life is paved with dreams for “better future.” We utter the words I want … ” frequently in our daily conversations.

Yet, “I don’t believe in the future” were the words he repeated throughout our conversation in that deep night. Sadly, such words resound also from others like him in the shadows of blinding city lights.

I met Brian during an outreach service to Homeless Voice, a homeless shelter in Florida through University of Miami Alternative Breaks. After losing his job, Brian, diagnosed with diabetes eight years ago, survives in a railroad station with other homeless people in a warehouse, sharing blankets and water. He lost his insurance and is in danger of amputating his arm. He struggles to maintain his mental and physical well-being just as several homeless people do.

In this world that esteems individual’s efforts and accomplishments, we usually presume that homeless people fall into the pit of poverty merely because of a lack of effort.

Nevertheless, my interaction with the residents of Homeless Voice revealed that their cause lies in domestic violence, mental illnesses and, mainly, loss of family support. Thrust into the streets without an uplifting hand, they are left to fend for themselves and their children.

They are stripped of primary health requirements, beginning with emotional health such as familial love, being listened to and cared about. As each strand of lifeline from society and family breaks, they follow their cry: “Desperate people do desperate things.”

In our fast-paced and individualistic society, we unknowingly form, and live within, our own bubble. Yet, no man is an island. We cannot let our leading drive for self-accomplishment block us from reaching out to those struggling in the shadows of a light.

As university students, we easily become engrossed in our books and college life and feel that we can accomplish things only after gaining a solid education. Though true, great things are accomplished over time. The path of a hundred miles begins with a simple step.

A step to help out the homeless could be simply listening to their silent cries. Taking some time to listen to Ramona, another affected resident, during my service trip to Homeless Voice, has turned out a precious gift of life to her. She thankfully repeated, “You guys helped me more than I helped you.”

Kagiso Samuel is a junior majoring in neuroscience.

Kagiso Samuel

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...