Help the homeless by listening

Self-achievement and satisfaction reign high in our society. Our college life is paved with dreams for “better future.” We utter the words I want … ” frequently in our daily conversations.

Yet, “I don’t believe in the future” were the words he repeated throughout our conversation in that deep night. Sadly, such words resound also from others like him in the shadows of blinding city lights.

I met Brian during an outreach service to Homeless Voice, a homeless shelter in Florida through University of Miami Alternative Breaks. After losing his job, Brian, diagnosed with diabetes eight years ago, survives in a railroad station with other homeless people in a warehouse, sharing blankets and water. He lost his insurance and is in danger of amputating his arm. He struggles to maintain his mental and physical well-being just as several homeless people do.

In this world that esteems individual’s efforts and accomplishments, we usually presume that homeless people fall into the pit of poverty merely because of a lack of effort.

Nevertheless, my interaction with the residents of Homeless Voice revealed that their cause lies in domestic violence, mental illnesses and, mainly, loss of family support. Thrust into the streets without an uplifting hand, they are left to fend for themselves and their children.

They are stripped of primary health requirements, beginning with emotional health such as familial love, being listened to and cared about. As each strand of lifeline from society and family breaks, they follow their cry: “Desperate people do desperate things.”

In our fast-paced and individualistic society, we unknowingly form, and live within, our own bubble. Yet, no man is an island. We cannot let our leading drive for self-accomplishment block us from reaching out to those struggling in the shadows of a light.

As university students, we easily become engrossed in our books and college life and feel that we can accomplish things only after gaining a solid education. Though true, great things are accomplished over time. The path of a hundred miles begins with a simple step.

A step to help out the homeless could be simply listening to their silent cries. Taking some time to listen to Ramona, another affected resident, during my service trip to Homeless Voice, has turned out a precious gift of life to her. She thankfully repeated, “You guys helped me more than I helped you.”

Kagiso Samuel is a junior majoring in neuroscience.

Kagiso Samuel

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...